460 ford

im having promblems with a 460 ford that wont stop flooding i think at idle and throttling up it starts to smoke (blueish white smoke) and smells like unburnt fuel i change the plugs twice both times going to hotter plugs changed the carb to a edlebrock 1405 thinking that was it it all helped but it didnt stop the problem it has a blown manifold gasket on the passenger side but i dont think thats the problem i have blocked all the vacuum lines that were not needed and checked the rest but it still does the same thing if anyone knows anything that might help please let me know

Reply to
ngtindol

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:68a1701f-6d6c-441f-8cbc-c6bf69f55eb6 @a26g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

What year, and carb or FI. KB

Reply to
Kevin

black smoke would be flooding. white smoke would be antifreeze or oil. are you losing any antifreeze or oil?

Reply to
hubcit

You are likely to get all kinds of good advice but the fact remains, according to your opening statement, "the manifold gasket is blown". What makes you think that the darn thing is supposed to run properly with a blown manifold gasket? Did Ford build this engine with a blown manifold gasket.? LOL. It is rather imposible to do much with this 460 until you fix the gasket.

Make sure you use a torque wrench, the proper torque, the correct sequence and read the directions. Clean serfaces and there maybe silicone sealant required. Read the Ford shop manual and the directions that come with the gasket. Use Ford parts or Felpro. Some other known brand names are prolly OK but I only use these 2.

BTW this is not all that big a job. And it would be helpfull if you told use what year and model vihicle it is.

disston

Reply to
disston

If it has a carb how's the choke thermostat? Had this problem on my Oldsmobile. black smoke coming out of the exhaust like crazy.

Reply to
m6onz5a

the exhaust manifold gasket is blown i checked to see if i was loosing antifreeze and as far as i can tell im not. but after further checking the truck i noticed that the bolts that were used to install the manifolds were to long and they didnt pull down tight enough to seal of the manifold to the head and burnt my valve cover gasket causing it to leak oil on the manifold and into my exaust after i fixed that the problem still wasnt cured it still has a somewhat rough idle and smells really strong of raw fuel

Reply to
ngtindol

it has a manual choke on it

Reply to
ngtindol

its a 1988 ford f250 but the motor was swapped out to a 460 before i got it im not exactly sure what year model the 460 is but i think its from the early 80's because it has serpentine belts on it and factory electronic ignition

Reply to
ngtindol

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:7459b17c-035d-4fc6-a7f7-847db6301e64 @a29g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

those motors were very common to have a intake manifold gaskedt leaking and causing rough idle. KB

Reply to
Kevin

Sounds like a "messy" transplant. If the exhaust manifold bolts were wrong maybe the intake was off too and the wrong bolts got used. If it has an EGR plate there were several different ones with different gaskets. Either one wrong and the EGR passage could leak directly into the intake side. I" have also seen broken valve springs on older 460 Fords. They would idle but would not rev up without running like a bag of shit. Sounds like you better find out more about the past life of this 460.

chris

Reply to
golden oldie

That depends on whether its an intake or exhaust gasket. Intake would cause the symptoms he's seeing (sucking oil into the intake charge). A blown exhaust gasket would make a hell of a racket, but wouldn't affect the operation of a non-computerized non-feedback engine that doesn't depend on an oxygen sensor.

Reply to
Steve