460 ford problems

I have a 460 efi in my 89 RV.I started it up today to take and put it in storage.It was running rough but I thought it was from sitting. I started down the road and up a small hill the engine started to work very hard. With some knocking sounds. I heard what sounded like a (POP) then I got a (clunking ) sound in the engine.No smoke, and no water in the oil that I can tell.The sound is only on the one side of the engine. HELP !!! What do I look for is the engine shot?? I just got this thing and it only has about

45,000 miles on it.
Reply to
pinball

Obviously just a guess here because its hard to tell without "being there", but I would suspect something in the valvetrain let go. As for what, it could be a multitude of things. First of all, don't drive it!

I would start out with a compression test. If you find a low cylinder then it is either a bent, broken or burnt valve. If the compression test shows good, then I would pull the valve covers and inspect the rocker arms, pushrods, valves (as much as you can see), and the valve springs. Normally I would do the visual inspection first because an engine making noise is best left not running. In the case of an RV it is probably easier to do the compression test than it is to pull the valve covers.

If neither one of these checks reveals anything, then post back here with what you do find. I would venture a guess here and say one of these two checks will reveal something.

Chris

If your motorhome has been sitting long enough, the gas has gone bad and you've just varnished your valves to the heads.

I made that mistake. Stuck valves and bent pushrods. I now have a 390 that needs to be rebuilt. I've learned, the hard way. Before starting a vehicle that been sitting a long time, check the gas, if neccessary drain the tank and carb, disconnect and flush the fuel line and replace the fuel filter.

I'll find out if I bent any valves when I pull the heads.

BigDave

Reply to
<bigdave