Nissan Micra Flooding

My daughters Nissan Micra refused to start today - engine turned over ok but it would not catch. In frustration she called out the AA (homestart) who asked if it had been moved. oddly enough I had to start it yesterday to get it off the drive so that I could park my motorhome. The AA guy said that it was flooded because it had not been run for long enough. He disconnected a lead (don't know which one) from the fuel injectors & and managed to start it.. after reconnecting it ran ok. He said this is a common problem with fuel injected cars more so on the bigger engined ones if they are started moved & switched off pretty quickly. He referred to a spate of problems on Boxing Day when a lot of call outs related to the same situation. I have never come across this before - is this common?? I couldn't see what wire he disconnected - I would like to know if this happens again in the future.

Ste

Reply to
Springtime

Very!

Easiest to find the fuse for the fuel pump and pull that.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Fuel pump relay or main injector fuse if I remember rightly -in the little box that goes across the car between the battery and the radiator. Nice and handy there!

When you turn on the ignition the system pressurises - so even flooring the throttle and spinning over the engine just pumps more fuel in! need to do this with the system disabled, so removing the relay or the main fusible link will do the trick. I think our guy just kept removing the thing and putting it back in while the engine was spinning over, but I'm not sure if that was wise (danger of sparks).

I have heard that some vehicles have a "technique" built into the EMS software but haven't a clue what it would be, or if it is the same on all cars.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Quite a common occurence. It's happened on my wife's Micra and on my own

3ltr Carlton. The trick is to let the engine tick over for a couple of minutes if you're moving the car only a yard or two. If stuck, the fuse for the fuel pump is 15amp and second down from the top of the right-hand side of the fuse box, but if you let the engine tick over, you shouldn't have the problem again.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Raymond

Most that I've seen use the same technique as for a flooded carb car, keep your foot on the floor whilst cranking.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

? I've never come across this before, and I move a few cars that are parked up for a months on end for a short distance of perhaps 20 feet you can't flood an EFI car can you? unless something is seriously wrong what happens to the cat?

Reply to
dojj

" dojj" wrote in news:devuc4$n8a$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

I've known it happen to people a few times, but I think you have to have the engine running for a very short period (i.e. no more than a few seconds) to cause it. Whenever I'm moving a car by just it's own length, I always let the engine idle, just for a few seconds, before switching off, and have never had a problem. Once you've flooded it, the unburnt fuel just gets blown through the cat and you have to hope that no damage ocurs.

Reply to
Stu

It is a well-known problem, as any friendly AA/RAC/Green Flag patrol will tell you. I know that Micras, some VAG and most Fords suffer from it. I can only assume that after a very brief run, some ECU's allow injection but no spark?

The cat would not suffer because it only happens when it is cold.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Theory I have always worked on is this.

Car starts ok ......then is turned off before end of warm up cycle so plugs have no chance to self clean. When you come to re start, the car is very reluctant due to fouled plugs and high injection duration (more fuel) due to still being cold.

Cleaning the plugs or removing the excess fuel allows a start.

There is a Nissan modification available which is an alteration to the temp sensor resistance (reduces injection duration when cold) and multi-electrode plugs (helps with plug fouling) But its just as easy not to short run the car when cold :-)

software but haven't a clue what it would be, or if it is the same on all cars.

It's called clear start..... if you floor the accelerator pedal the ECM switches off the injectors. Not all cars have this function.

Kippers

multi-electrode

Only Fords as a rule.

Volvo also introduced the triple electrode plugs intended to give a hotter burn and less likelyhood of fuel fouling, but most of the 5 and 6 cylinders will flood easily if started and stopped when cold.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..