4Runner Speedometer Cable Repair

The speedometer on my 88 4runner (V6 engine) has stopped working. It's had a problem for a while with making noise, I removed it from the back of the gauge and applied lubrication a few times and it helped.

But recently it stopped working altogether. I'll have to investigate if it failed where it connects to the dash, if it broke internally, or if it has a problem where it attaches to the drivetrain.

My questions are:

  1. How difficult is it to replace the speedometer cable. Any tips?
  2. Is this an item that can be bought only at the dealer?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Krystonia5

Not really sure about the '88. I have a '90 4Runner and had to replace the speedo cable last winter. I picked mine up at Napa for $17 including tax. The hardest part was connecting it to the rear of the instrument panel (not much room in there after it's connected!). The opposite end just screws into the transfer case (if you have a 4wd). Make sure you lube it first though too and route it the same as the original so it doesn't bind, kink or rub on anything. It's not a big job.

Mike

Reply to
mazdaman85