Honda Accord Oil Specification Question ?

Hello:

Have an Accord, 6 cyl, 2005.

Manual says to use 5W 20 oil, a bit surprisingly.

How critical is this ?

If I use, due to 5W 20 not being available, e.g., 5W 30, or 10W 30, any potential problems ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

============== ==============

Bearing failure.

yer welcome, ~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

5w20 is commonly available. You should have no trouble finding it.
Reply to
jcr

I doubt the result of using 5W-30 or 10W-30 would be bearing failure. Honda switched their North American recommendation to 5W-20 without redesigning many of their engines.

Reply to
y_p_w

honda made this move to 5w20 for much of the same reason that ford did...the lighter weight oil is said to reduce drag which increases fuel ecconemy. that was the answer i got ford. i own a vehical that reqires 5 w 20 oil...i use 5/20 in the winter and 5/30 in the summer....i would stay away from 10w30 in colder climates

Reply to
taz

Hello again,

Much thanks for replies and help. A bit confused on this.

Are you folks saying that the 5W 20 that Honda says to use Must be (all) Synthetic only ?

Or is 5W 20 that is not synthetic, just the regular stuff, is O.K. ?

I read somewhere that they should not be mixed, so really confused.

Thanks again, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Automakers (led by Ford) have begun specifying 5w20 for ONE reason: it lets them get better numbers for mileage testing and increases their CAFE. Using 10w30 won't hurt anything, but 5W20 is readily available everywhere now. Knowing Honduh, they'd probably cancel warranty coverage if you did have a problem while using 10w30.

Reply to
Steve

Full synthetic oil is generally better, but its your decision as to whether you want to spring for it. Some "conventional" oils are as good or better than some synthetics these days. There are some oils labelled "synthetic" which are actually only semi-synthetic or are refined from group III base stocks.

There is no truth to the myth that synthetic oil can't be mixed with conventional oil.

Reply to
Steve