84 Caprice Estate Wagon

Ok. I spent $1300 on a 84 caprice estate wagon a few months ago. Out side is in great condition, inside is almost perfect except for a couple of tiny minor problems that you wont even notice unless your realy looking.

Engine is pretty clean, Exhaust manifolds are rusted but thats becouse it never had a leak untill recenty. But there are a few problems with it while its runing.

When timing is right there is berely any power at all. and it is hard as hell to start.

So becouse of that I have the timing off a little bit to have some power so i can drive it. Its my only car. And if i ever get on it the engine makes this weird noise, My brother in law says it sounds like piston slap. I havent had much experience with that problem so I dont know.

So I want to get this timing/Power issue fixed before something gets realy screwed up. Me and my brother in law both figured that it was a Mixture problem. but we have no clue how to adjust that since there is no screw for it,(Rochester Quadrajet) I was told on these boards to look for a brown wire runing allong the fire wall that plugs into the distributor. Never found it.

So we started messing around with all the wires that come of the distributor. 2 of them couse the car not to run at all not, The only other one on there made it run like shit when it was unpluged. so we thought maby that was it. Unpluged it, set the timing, pluged it back in, same problem..

So now i have it set in some odd position so that it has some power but dosnt make that shity noise. So if any one can tell me any thing about how to fix this I could realy use the help.

I would also like to know of some not to expenive ways to give me some more horsepower but not cause any harm to the engine.I would prefer to have a little more then 150hp would like 200 if not more, Not gona race it or any thing. I just like the have the power there incase I ever need it.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer. I havent had to much expirance with engines.I'm 19 and this is my first card, I understand the basics of how they work, I use to work on my dads 78 caprice coupe all the time but his didint have an automatic mixture carb.

One more question. any budy know where i can get a custom hood ornament, I would like a skull to match the wrest of what I got.

Reply to
TheCrazzyOne

I would suggest setting the timing at mfg. specifications and checking that your timing chain has not slipped a cog. It may just be somewhat slack. Do a basic tune-up with plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. Change the fuel filter. After that, check for fault codes. All you need is a paperclip to shunt the diagnostic link under the dash. Work on getting everything right first. Do not try to change the carb mixture adjustment. Get a new O2 sensor and let the ECM adjust it for you. Oh, defer the hood ornament. I think you already have "a skull to match the wrest of what I got."

Reply to
MaxAluminum