87 Cavalier Z-24 - No start, no spark. Help!

87 Z-24, has fuel, has compression but no spark. There is power at the two pin connector on the ignition module so I took that off and had it tested at Advance Auto Parts who said it was fine. BTW this is the DIS ignition. I replaced the crank sensor but if the injectors are still working, I don't think that is the problem. About a month ago I had to replace the plug wires as one of them was arching to ground near the coil pack, The car ran fine after replacing the wires until a week ago it refused to start in my garage. this makes me think that it prolly is the module. Question is could it be anything else like ECM or other sensor that would cause a no spark situation TIA!
Reply to
MSB

is this one of those cars with the coil packs? they tend to "drop" in some of my friends cars.

Andrew

MSB wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Paule

"MSB" wrote

I'm not sure how reliable the tests you had done on the module were, I still would not rule out the module. It may also be the knock sensor, which is probably located near the crank position sensor.

If you get to the point of replacing the module or coils. The standard advise is to replace all of these together with AC Delco parts. Some alternative modules are not as good. Also it may be a faulty coil that caused the module to fail and leaving it in place will just cause the new module to fail. Also, I'd check those new wires carefully. A bad wire can stress a coil and in turn stress the module.

Cheers, Bep

88 Cavalier 2.8l (engine currently being rebuilt)
Reply to
bep

Thanks! The car runs fine after installing a new module and coil packs.

-- Mark

Reply to
MSB

Proving once again that those parts store "ignition module testers" aren't worth the bother.

Reply to
Neil Nelson