88 Toyota Corolla loses power then stalls at random, about every few weeks

I just bought a 1988 Toyota corolla, manual 5 sp., carburetor (not fuel injected), Periodically, with no rhyme or reason, at what seems to be about a half tank of gas, whether this is relevant I am not sure, it loses power quickly and stalls. At first we thought maybe the gas gauge was broken. Left it sitting for a few hours, put in more gas, cleaned fuel lines with carb cleaner and replaced fuel filter. Started and ran great for a few weeks before doing the same thing again. Has happened three times since...the last time it was definitely not out of gas,and I was able to keep restarting and go a bit further over and over until finally home. I also sometimes smell an odor of gas around the car. It seems that all of my friends think they are a mechanics : ), but no one seems to be exactly sure of the problem...all have conflicting answers. The big question is...what could it be that causes it to happen intermittently, then run great for a few weeks? A vacuum leak, bad fuel pump, crud in the tank from sitting a long time (could it get past filter), carb issue? Any ideas would be oh so greatly appreciated! Thanks a million! Obviously I am surely not a mechanic so excuse any odd questions...I do however have a feeling that after this I will be much more educated in the rigors of car repair!

Aimee

Reply to
aimeej

Mike Walsh

You would be wise to prepare for diagnosis by having a low pressure fuel gauge, a spark tester, and a friend handy *before* the vehicle stalls. Those two pieces of test equipment can be had for about $35 at your local chain auto parts store. Now test drive the car, staying nearby your home. As soon as it stalls, check fuel pressure at the rubber hose inlet fitting to the carburetor while someone cranks the engine. Then reattach the hose and check for spark at any or all of the secondary wires with a simple gap tester. Let us know what you find. With no diagnostic info supplied, it could be anything at this point.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish