88 toyota pickup 22re - pointers

just got one of the above pickups. it has a very slow lumpy idle when warm. i haven't had a chance to get a manual or do any diagnostics, so if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me going while that stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much appreciated.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:eK6dnbWyl- wCRJbTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Try asking at the Yahoo group I help moderate:

This group has a number of actual working techs in it, at least one of whom is an MDT and has 23 years of experience with exactly this sort of thing.

Reply to
Tegger

i don't ya-freakin-hoo. thanks though.

Reply to
jim beam

where is it located? no owners manual...

Reply to
jim beam

Is it carb'd or EFI? '88 should be EFI, and the first thing I'd try is pulling the EFI fuse and resetting the ECU to default values...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Under the hood, in the fuse box located (should be) right behind the battery, and should be labeled "EFI"

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Or, just disconnect the ground terminal for ~1 minute...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Couple of other things. On this engine, there are 'plastic' chain guides, and they wear down, and are hydraulically controlled. On starting, you may hear a rasping noise from the front of the motor that should go away within a few seconds. Any more than that and you have to tear the front of the motor off, replace the guides and the hydraulic adjusters. Might as well do the chain at the same time, since it stretches. How many miles?

If the rasping noise lasts longer than a few seconds, the chain is wearing through the block...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

One good thing about these...they used this engine for a long time, up to

1996 or 97. I had an '85 Celica with a 22re that would not pass inspection because oil was blowing past the rings and into the intake. I bought one out of a wrecked truck (1991) for $300 with 107,000 on it and popped it in.
Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

jim beam wrote in news:jsOdnWFW1_51WJHTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

I asked my MDT guy anyway, and he answered back with some pretty meaty answers for you. But I gather you're not interested.

Reply to
Tegger

i'm interested dude - that's why i posted here. i just don't yahoo.

you can re-post here if you're inclined. or not.

Reply to
jim beam

that's part of why i bought it. i went into the toyota dealer today to pick up a new oem thermostat, and the parts person knew the number off the top of their head. they said they still support a lot of these pickups.

crazy dealer parts prices though - they wanted $86 for a set of plug leads. i bought a set of premium after-market silicone with coiled core conductors [better than oem] for $21. figured i'd spring the outrageous $26 for the thermostat though because those things are better than aftermarket and i wanted it TODAY. all the rest is going oem but online order.

found and downloaded the factory service manual online. i'll do the ecu reset, but i don't think it's that - i think it's the idle control valve clogged or the m.a.f. sensor.

noted re chain. i think it's already been done because the distributor is near the middle of its adjust. presuming the timing is correct of course. i'll check it later tonight once it's dark.

starter motor on the way out - as long as it starts one more time and gets me home, i'll get a new one first thing. 170k miles - still young!

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:99OdnTbzncOv35DTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Nope.

Reply to
Tegger

i'm not joining yahoo tegger. and i'm not going to play childish "if you want to play with my ball" games either.

Reply to
jim beam

Could just be the brushes, They're notorious for quitting just when things start going well...

They aren't TOO hard to check or replace.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

jim beam wrote in news:fcGdnWRaracB2ZDTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

OK.

Reply to
Tegger

jim beam wrote in news:fcGdnWRaracB2ZDTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

I don't know why you're so persistently abrasive. Are you like that in real life as well?

I took the trouble to ask my guy and he took the trouble to answer me back. So I'm posting what he told me anyway. He's not often wrong, so this information may be useful to you.

Below are my guy's comments for this particular symptom on your '88 22R EFI engine:

"1) A vacuum leak, usually around the intake at cylinder #4, spray some brake cleaner in the area, and see if it speeds up and smooths out. The heat from the EGR valve shrinks the intake gasket, causing it to split.

"2) Lopy idle can be a hung-up airflow meter too, and I have seen those hang up if someone changes the air filter while the engine is still running. A little debris get in there, hangs it up, runs rich and lopy off-idle. Usually can be cleared out by snapping the throttle or reaching inside and moving the airflow meter door a few times by hand.

"Is it rich-smelling? Then it's probably the airflow meter. If not, look at the intake gasket. The intake gasket is the most likely problem."

Reply to
Tegger

ok, now i've fixed the starter and put the right length alternator and p/s pump belts on so nothing squeals, i can hear this "rasping" is definitely present - need to do the chain and guides now!

looking for parts lists, i found these useful links:

thanks for the heads up.

Reply to
jim beam

i'm not particularly abrasive - but i sure am pedantic and i have no b.s. tolerance ability. useful traits in some quarters.

why put on an act? utterly pointless.

doesn't smell particularly rich - i'll check the intake.

thanks - i'm glad the grown-up tegger is back.

Reply to
jim beam

There is an idle speed adjustment, it's an air bypass screw located in the throttle body. When you do your initial tune-up, make sure to do a thorough cleaning of the throttle body and plate and the maf. Checking codes is easy, chances are you have a code 52 code for the tps idle switch.A little diddling of the tps adjustment will lear this one. I'd also add a quart of Techron to the gas tank. Also make sure to adjust the valves. These things can have tappet noise when the valves are set right, so some guys will tighten up the valves till they get quiet which can cause idle/emissions/low power problems

you may want to check out

I have bought a bunch from them lately... oem toyota stuff way below dealership prices.

By the way, if it were me I'd take a close listen at the timing cover with a stethoscope to listen for chain noise. Sometimes they will make a noise at idle that goes away off idle, which is bad. The chain can slap its way through the timing cover into a water passage with no warning and disastrous results. HTH, and let us know how it goes, Ben

Reply to
ben91932