88 toyota pickup 22re - pointers

The OEM wires are either NGK or Nippon Denso. I got an aftermarket set of NGK's on eBay for my Supra for about 2/3 of the price of dealer and they work quite well.

Toyotas do NOT like Autozone, NAPA, etc wires! They run like crap if you put them on. That and Champion spark plugs. Makes them run kinda lumpy and...

hey......

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

NP! Hey, since this is an '88, where did you get it from? I had an '85 up here in Mass, 125,000 miles, and the FRAME was rotted out! It was only 6 years old! The bed was rotted, too, but the frame had a big lengthwise hole in it.

Too bad they didn't have a recall THEN!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

all good info dude, thanks. can definitely hear chain on startup, so that's job #2. #1 is sorting out the thermostat/low engine temp - needle creeps up slightly idling around town - dead cold at freeway. #3 is that i suspect the head gasket might be leaking slightly, losing a little coolant each day, while still retaining pressure. do 2 & 3 together i guess.

other than that, the motor's great! plenty of compression.

Reply to
jim beam

one of the benefits of living in kalifornistan - especially inland where the truck is from where it's hot and there is no road salt. the dash is all sun cracked, but hey, it's a truck!

Reply to
jim beam

can't say i've been looking for the coupes, but i can say the corolla wagons are still around and enjoy semi cult status. none ever for sale though - you'd have to pry the keys from the cold dead fingers of most owners from what i can gather.

Reply to
jim beam

Now, I'm jealous.

Any 1980-84 Corolla coupes out there? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

jim beam wrote in news:_dydnVfqOO8gHZPTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

More from ym guy: "If the vacuum leak isn't the problem, next step will be throttle position sensor adjustment and ignition timing."

Reply to
Tegger

Every once in a while one comes up an eBay from CA or AZ, and goes for at least half price of what they were new! I paid $6799 for an '80 coupe, and the wagons go for at least $3000...usually more.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

will have to report back in a couple of days. finally got to change the thermostat [old one jammed open] and it doesn't seem to be so bad now it's actually reaching normal operating temperature. the overdrive now works too!

Reply to
jim beam