89 Chevy Corsica...Please Help...

All, I have one I am unsure where to head next with....Please help...

I have a 1989 Chevy Corsica 2.8 with about 158000 miles (almost all highway) on it. I am one who watches oil and all and I change the oil with synthetic oil every 3000 miles.

Anyways one day my wife was driving to work about (50 mile commute) and the engine just died. She got it to the side of the road during Detroit rush hour traffic and called me. I drive about a hour from my work and get in the car and it starts instantly and I drive it back home and to and from work for about a week with no further problems (about 400 miles). I parked the car as its used seasonally and it sat for about 5 months. I go and start the vehicle on a very warm day to move it and prepare it for it normal driving season. When I went to start it, it no longer started. The engine had spark and had gas at the injectors (yes I removed the fuel rail and checked) and the vehicle read the proper gas pressure at the rail. I took in the DIS module and had the coil checked (resistance). The DIS module did not check out properly. The coils where fine. I did not feel overly comforatble with the parts guy who tested it. So I took the DIS module to another parts place where it tested Good. I placed the old DIS module in the vehicle again and the engine kicked right over. I drove it about 15 miles and it always starts now without any problems.

The newest problem seems to be the RPM is very high. The computer gave me signals that the MAP sensor and the IAC is bad. I replaced both parts with brand new ones. The engine RPM only increased after these parts where changed out. I decided to check all hoses to make sure that they were all in good condition. I found one hose on cruise control unit that was cracked. I replaced the hose and the engine still has a high RPM.

So my question are;

Would the DIS module cause this high RPM?

What could cause this HIGH RPM (2500-3000)?

Any ideas?

Thanks, Chris SolomonMan

Reply to
Solomon_Man

high idle - might be caused by a mechanical defect, a cable not traveling

properly. a throttle body peripheral malfunctioning. (idle speed motor)

m h o =A0v =83e

Reply to
fiveiron

tion are;

No

I would suspect another vacuum leak somewhere.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Really sounds like a vacuum leak. Check the plenum gaskets as well as the hoses, IAC gasket, throttle plate gaskets.

Also check the coolant temp sensor, it could be telling the computer that it's -50 degrees.

Reply to
Dave in Columbus

My guess is a cracked crank pickup sensor - While the engine is running try smacking the block with a large brass hammer. If the engine stalls, stumbles or all of a sudden dies...

Reply to
Backbone

Of all of the ideas, this sounds like the best option! :)

I actually replaced the crank sensor when the vehicle did not start on that hot day, thinking it was the issue.

Thanks for the reply, Chris

Reply to
Solomon_Man

All, Looks like the plenum gasket or the coolant sensor did it. I am not sure which one for sure cause I replaced both at once. But shes up and running.

Thanks All ! Chris

Reply to
Solomon_Man