92 acclaim check engine light goes on and off

Hi My wife's 1992 plymouth acclaim's check engine light goes on whenever the radio or heater is turned on. When the radio or heater is turned off the check engine light goes out as well.

Should I be looking for a new alternator? or should I be looking elswhere?

Thanks

Dutchie

Reply to
dutchie26

Those type of problems usually indicate a bad ground somewhere. Try checking all grounds for corrosion/looseness.

Reply to
Woody

as mentioned, poor grounding could be the cause, cleaning the battery terminals while looking for loose ends / poor grounding might turn up something.

but, more than likely it is a weak sensor on that older model car. you might replace the sensor / relay, or both if either applies.

do the key diagnosis thingy, see what you comes up with, it might give you a lead.

good luck,

m h o =A0v =83e

Reply to
fiveiron

I'd take a look at the last tech that worked on your vehicle - sounds like he/she may have forgotten something - perhaps a resistor!! Chrysler products use resistors instead of extra wires - electrical issues are not uncommon with Chrysler, Plymouth or Dodge Vehicles.

Reply to
Backbone

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I get a 12 a 47 and then 55 for the trouble codes

does that help at all??

Dutchie

Reply to
dutchie26

Yep.

12: Start of codes 47: Line voltage too low 55: End of codes

Go get your battery and your alternator load-tested, and carefully inspect all three topside connections on your battery cables (positive and negative cable terminal clamps on the battery, and the plastic pull-apart connector about 7" downstream from the battery in the positive cable). You will probably need a new battery; yours probably has a dead cell.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Horseshit. There's no such a thing as "using resistors instead of extra wires", and even if there were, Chrysler products don't.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Right.

Not in a '92 Acclaim, they don't.

Nope, because the "info" you provided is thoroughly inapplicable to the vehicle under discussion.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Bahh...Pulling foot from mouth --> Wasn't thinking

Reply to
Backbone

...unless the particular '92 Acclaim in question has cruise control. That is the one and only place where resistive MPX is used, starting in '92, on the AA-bodies. And it's quite reliable in that application!

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern