Auto wreckers... What do they do with the VIN?

I've seen a few salvagable vehicles in wrecking yards and it got me thinking...

What does an auto wrecker do when the bring a vehicle into the yard? Are all the VIN's reported to the DMV and cars registered as scrap? Can these vehicles be reregistered as roadworthy?

Also, how far can one go repairing a vehicle until it's no longer considered the same vehicle?

In other words, if I own a roadworthy vehicle, that is currently registered and insured and then purchase a vehicle from a wrecker that is in better shape than my car, and I move several parts from my car to the wrecker vehicle, can I use my current registration on the wrecker vehicle?

I'm mostly interested is what is done in Alberta and Ontario, but interested in hearing about other locations as well.

Reply to
Noozer

The VIN follows the chassis. If it isn't *re-registered* at the Dept of Motor Vehicles when time comes for new plates, it stays in the system, but as unauthorized for the roadway.

If it is reported as a *total,* the DMV is notified that it is now not allowed on the road anymore. The Registration follows the chassis, not the engine or the wheels or the windshield.

Lg US

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

First all answers depend on the particular state. Second, they are generally titled as scrap.

Yes, but will have a salvage title. Again, varies by state. Titles can be 'washed' through various states to get a normal title again.

In theory? From a vin number on a title.

I would hazard to guess swaping out all the VIN tags would be some sort of crime. Especially if you sold the vehicle. Now if you drove it until it was junked, then what's the likelyhood anyone would care enough to find out? Guess it depends on any inspection scheme it may need to go through.

Can't help you with regards to canada.

Reply to
Brent P

I went through this in Nova Scotia. The original car was wrecked, and I had the engine and trans swapped into a good shell that had been driven into salt water and was destined for the scrapyard. Had to have a 3rd party inspect the car and sign a mechanical fitness document and it was good to go. I'm not sure if it ended up having a salvage title in the end or not, but there was no problem when I put insurance on it -- I'd bought the original car from my dad so it wasn't registered in my name officially before it was wrecked.

Hope that helps!

Reply to
JM