90 Cadillac - Help Diagnose Intermittent Starting Problem

I've got a 1990 Cadillac Deville w/4.5L engine that I've had for a long time. It has had a persistent starting problem that I've never solved nor numerous mechanics. Due to the nature of the problem, I can never get it in front of a mechanic in a failed state. It comes and goes with 10 min. to

3 hours. So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to approach this problem.

Background: Problem has plagued this car for at least 9 years. Only happens in the heat of the summer (here in Austin, it was about 100 degrees today). Only happens when the car has been run then stopped for a short period of time. Starter is about 3 years old. Ignition switch is 5-6 years old (last one smoked out while I was driving). It died at the auto parts store today, so I had them do a load test on the battery which indicated about 800 CCA (on a 770 CCA battery) and the battery is < 2 years old. Have had a problem with the engine ground cable separating from the end clamp (the end that attaches to the engine). A mechanic reseated the clamp and soldered the cable to the clamp. Just in case, I ran a jumper cable from the ground on the battery to the engine in an attempt to rule out a grounding problem. Also, this car uses a resistor key. I tried a second, newer key to start the car and it did not help.

Today, I had two failures at my two stops. First one, car was off for about 45 minutes, turned ignition on, nothing. Turned it off and then back on, it started. Second one, car was off for about 10 minutes. Wouldn't start. Waited 10 more minutes, nothing. Waited about 15-20 minutes more, it started just fine. I've been home for about 15-20 minutes and just started it with no problems.

Here's what happens. The ignition switch is turned, which turns off the accessories, including the electronic dash panel and the car does not start. No clicking under the hood, nothing but silence.

Since it never fails at home where I have tools and appropriate attire for working on the car, I'm at a loss as to locate this problem. Has anyone else seen this before? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

--brian

Reply to
Brian Pellerin

I had a starting problem and it turned out that the starter solenoid was bad. When my starter finally failed, I replaced the starter and solenoid and my starting problem wasn't a problem. All that time I thought it was VATS.(what you refer to as "a resistor key"). If it happens only when it's hot and after it's been driven, that would indicate that the starter may be getting heat soak from the exhaust. You may try to fabricate your own heat shield or get some thermal wrap to try to insulate your starter from other heat sources.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Bruce,

This is a reasonable explanation, however, the failure predated the current starter and continued after it was replaced. So, it has me wondering if this is truly the problem. However, as you noted, it could be overheating and not a bad starter per se, but rather a heat induced temporary failure.

Thanks for the suggestion. Now where would one purchase thermal wrap?

--brian

Reply to
Brian Pellerin