91 Maxima idles low and has NO acceleration

I just bought a 1991 Nissan Maxima V6 3.0L (VG30E) automatic at a charity auction and it's had this problem ever since. When I can get it to start, it idles very low and when I step on the accelerator, almost nothing happens....the tach just twitches a little. Same story when I move the throttle under the hood by hand, so its not the cable.

I get a code 55 from the ECU diagnostics mode 3 (code 55 = normal operation). I've done all the ECCS sensor checks in the Haynes manual and everything passes (though I know that doesn't mean they're really working properly since the checks are so limited).

The distributor was worn out so I replaced it and I'm getting a good spark. I checked the compression - its within range and the same in all six cylinders. The fuel pump is ok, I replaced the fuel filter, plugs, and the throttle valve switch, but still have the same problem.

**This is interesting - changing diagnostic modes on the ECU by turning

the screw caused the idle to normalize and allowed me to rev the engine

with the accelerator for about 20 seconds. I could only make this happen 2 times while the engine was idling. Similarly, I changed the modes without the engine running (just had the key at "ON") and my buddy said he heard the injectors click.**

So I'm guessing one of the sensors is causing the ECU to not send power

to the injectors....or the ECU is no good. How can I find out what's going on?? Tomorrow I'm going to check all the grounds and clean all the connectors. Any other ideas or guidance? Please help.

Reply to
jben

TPS? Blocked Exhaust? Air filter?

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Reply to
jben

Maybe a crack or split in the intake tube between the throttle body and the air filter/MAF sensor?

Reply to
JM

Reply to
jben