92 Civic shuts off while running

Hello all,

I have a 92 Honda Civic DX which has been just great. Unfortunately quite recently it has developed a problem that has me a bit puzzled.

The engine cuts out every now and then, no particular driving time or distances. This can occur on any street or highway. Once this occurs it will not start immediately, the engine just turns and turns. We have waited as long as an hour before it can start. Then it may or may not occur for another time period, this can be a day, an hour or week.

I thought it maybe the fuel pump since I am unable to smell any gas when I am trying to start it, I tried listening for the pump when it energizes the injectors but I don't hear it, even when it actually works I hear nothing.. It is so intermittingly that I am unable to figure it out.

If anyone has any suggestion please post them, we will be grateful for your efforts.

Reply to
Luna

[...]

Luna, Nobody can tell you with surety what the problem is. And, when the problem is intermittent, it can be a bugger to find.

You need to do a little troubleshooting first. It could be an electrical fault, a fuel fault, etc..

You can carry a can of spray starting fluid with you, and when this happens, try squirting some fluid into the intake.. If it tries to start, that is a good indication you have fuel delivery problems.

You can also take a spark plug tester (cheap) with you. While it is in a coma, test the spark with the tester and see if you have a good hot spark.

Eliminate the issues one by one. Usually you can find these problem but it may take a little time and effort.

A dealership garage or independent will have the same problem with and intermittent problem.. They can't find it if it isn't broken at that instant in time.

Reply to
<HLS