92 toyota camry se

hey my 92 camry doesnt have any spark at the spark plugs..we change the distrubtor and everything..and now there is no sparks...the engine rotates still..but wont start...because there is no sparks...we have new spark plugs and spark plug wires..but still not getting any spark...anybody know whats wrong?? thanks..

Reply to
noi

Please elaborate on "we change the distributor and everything".

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

Is there voltage to the coil?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

You may have a stripped or broken timing belt. Unplug the smaller two wire connector at the distributor, remove the distributor cap and lay it to the side, then have someone crank the engine over while you watch the distributor rotor for movement. It should spin at half crankshaft speed. If not, check the timing belt for breakage and the crank/cam pulleys for a sheared key/pin.

If the dist *is* spinning correctly then you probably have a defective coil. Even the OE coils fail after about 10 years and the aftermarket coils aren't worth a crap. I think trying to describe how to test a coil would be too indepth for your situation -- but they are a common failure item, so if you are the type who throws parts at a car, that is the first part I would throw. I would make sure to throw a genuine Toyota coil at it if I were you.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

============ Check the ignition coil - common problem on those.

Reply to
Daniel

Check coil - if good then next step would crack positioning sensor.

Reply to
Timm Sheehan