93 Chevy Lumina Cooling fans

[This followup was posted to rec.autos.tech and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

I have a 93 Lumina which has been reading hot on the in-dash temperature gauge, but would quickly drop back into the normal range if I turn on the defroster at fan speed 3 or 4.

There are two cooling fans. The other day, neither fan was running, in spite of the temperature gauge reading high.

Tonight, when I popped the hood and cranked the engine with the engine already warm, the fan on the driver's side of the engine came on. I turned on the AC to trick the other fan into turning on, and when I looked back, the fan that was originally running had turned off and the other fan never came on.

I then turned off the AC and the first fan did not come back on. I watched for several minutes for either fan to kick in, and they never did, in spite of the Temp gauge reading hot and the dummy light coming on. I know these are not the most reliable gauges, but if I can smell the engine running hot, I know the gauge isn't that far off.

Any advice? No one around here can tell me how to test the relays from the underdash fuse panel.

Steve

Reply to
Steven R. Thomas

If you have the A/C on, at least one of the fans should always be running.

You'd likely need a wiring diagram to really tell what was going on with the relay, but you can test the cooling fan pretty easily by jumpering it directly to the battery and seeing if it runs.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

The fans are identical. You can swap them around easily . If swapping them around has the same effect, The problem is other than the fan.

Reply to
TOLYN9