93 Toyota 4x4 question

Hi,

So this is in regards to a '93 Toyota 4x4 with 232K miles (it has had its recall work done). I recently noticed that in all gears the vehicle will respond as if the clutch were partially (or at worst, fully)engaged. By this I mean that it will lose speed (as if mechanical engergy is not reaching the wheels) and the RPM's will steadily increase. If I back off the accelerator a bit it seems to catch and then respond normally. The problem is most noticeable in higher gears and going uphill. The engine seems to be running fine and had a tune up about 5000 miles ago. I don't know the history of the clutch or transmission. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Noah

Reply to
Noah Biavaschi

Ya think so? That statement is almost as stupid as saying it takes just a couple hours in the driveway. A decent tech with a hoist and a tranny jack might get it done in two or three hours. Someone with a floor jack and a "passing knowledge" of hand tools.... yea right. We are talking 4X4 here. Bob

Reply to
Bob

I don't think so. I replaced my first tranny when I was 18 in my driveway using a floor jack with a tranny adapter by myself in an afternoon. It was also a 4x4 truck - a 59 International pickup, and a total POS. I didn't have any air or power tools, just youthful ignorance/enthusiasm and a pressing need to fix my truck. That was over

25 years ago, and the truck wasn't a very 'clean' example, considering I lived in Wisconsin at the time (rust central). Just do it like you mean it. Get a book on the truck. It's not rocket science.

Jeff

Bob wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Gross

A '59 International? LOL! For what it's worth that transfer case and transmission was a hell of a lot heavier then but also a lot easier to get at. Pretty much everything was wide open, not the case any more. If you don't have some good swivel sockets, etc. a lot of bolts are inaccessible. Not to say he shouldn't do the job himself, just that it may not be the 2 hour job you describe.

Sorry no snip, that was the best part. Here it is again.

I suppose that's pretty much true since he'd have no reason to put a clutch in it. Bob

Reply to
Bob