95 escort shift problems

So I just bought this little econo box for 1400 bucks and all is well until last nite I wqas bringing the kids home and the thing wont shift. OK, checked the fluid, the previous owner had way too much in there, a quart and a half too much. So I sucked it out, all is well, until tonite I took the woman to get her truck from a friends and it wont shift again. What the hell, come on did I buy a friggin lemon? Well I found that when the headlights are on the trans wont shift. This is confirmed, turn the lights off, it shifts fine, on and it upshifts and its pissin me off any whacked out ideas are helpful

Reply to
micanic84

I would suspect a grounding issue.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I assume you are talking about an automatic here, right? Is there a transmission control computer? What does it have in common with the headlights? A ground line? Wires in the same bundle?

You're going to need the factory wiring diagram on this one, but I'll bet on a faulty ground connection or damaged insulation in a cable bundle.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

My Answer to actual problem:

My 91 tracer had the same issues.

  1. The speed sensor was defective. No error codes shown. Had various issues concerning shifting. Sometimes would shift at verious times, sometime wouldn't shift, sometimes would shift up and down. This took me a while to find. After finding the defective speed sensor; I was then able to find the throttle position sensor was defective.

Replaced both and my milage went back to about 30mpg and the shifting was great.

The most difficult sensor issue I had was a defective knock sensor on my 92 buick roadmaster stationwagen. The car would surge at highway speeds but would not shift in any consistant manner when towing the 2 horses. Took me a while to find. Again, no error codes.

Dan

Reply to
dan

That sounds entirely possible, however you may want to check grounds. The 2 transmission grounds are: G100 is on the left front of the engine compartment under the air cleaner. G200 is on the top of the left cowl panel, and is a shared ground with the headlight circuit. HTH, Ben

Reply to
ben91932