1998 LaSabre won't start

Hello all..You guys usually have some good insight so here goes..My brother has a 1998 Buick LaSabre 3.8 V6 automatic.Last week he sais when he went to start it it started to crank like normal and then there was a noticble clunk and everything just stopped...Any attempts to start it after that the starter motor sounded as if it was engaging but nothing happened.I went down and looked at it and thought maybe it was the starter as you could here a loud click coming from it as if the solenoid was working but had bad contacts..Took the starter off and took it to the big auto electric place near where I work and they tested it and said it was fine..Just to be on the safe side I scrounged a second starter up and had that tested and they said that too was fine..So back I go with 2 good starters but neither one would start the car...Battery was fine...I put the engine in neutral and found I could turn it with a socket and ratchet with no problem so the engine isn`t froze up..When you try to start it you can see all the accessories make a jump foward as if it`s trying to turn but the engine just won`t turn over from the starter motor(s)...Assuming the starter motors are good and the engine isn`t frozen up any ideas what to look at to make it crank over or what could be keeping it from doing so?..Thanks in advance for any ideas

Reply to
Sara Brown

A bad battery, dirty battery posts/cables, bad battery cables(high resistance), bad ground connection from battery to frame and/or engine block.

Reply to
Mike

So many possible causes, but I'd start by (easiest and quickest first) checking for coolant in crankcase; if it has coolant mixed in oil, then there's a leak, either from head/gasket or manifold/leak. Then check the voltage available at the starter, and compare to voltage at the starter while attempting to start it. If voltage drop is too great, you have a bad battery or bad connection, pos or ground. Check battery with a load-tester. If good, start tracing wires from starter back to battery to find weak connection. If voltage drop is not too great, try removing spark plugs and then see if turning engine with starter forces coolant out. If so, same problem as water/coolant in crankcase. Next check would be to bypass the ignition switch and try starting to determine if ign. sw. is bad. (A couple of tests you may wish to change their order if a 'later' one looks easier.) HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

When you turned the engine with a socket did you turn it the same direction as the starter would turn it? These engines have a nasty habit of warping and leaking water. You could have a cylinder that is hydrolocked. Try pulling the plugs and see if it will crank.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I meant to say that the intake manifolds have a nasty habit of warping and leaking water.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B.

Correct...That engine is the one that has the problem with the decomposing plastic fuel injection manifold. When they fail, they can do so suddenly and without warning.

It could be other things as well, but this possibility should not be overlooked.

Reply to
HLS

A quick follow up..I tried starting it again on the way home by putting a nice fresh battery in it and noticed that the positive terminal on the battery was getting hot after a number of unsuccessful starts...Thanks for all the advice so far!

Reply to
Sara Brown

Have the starter checked, sounds like it's drawing too much current.

Reply to
Mike

Oh Horseradish.

Sara is posting across groups and the story is somewhat different every time.

Go to a mechanic and get this POS fixed, if you can.

Sara is just farting around, and we are getting part of the story. Enough is enough

Reply to
HLS

Reply to
mr158912

What is you problem?...I was posting on various groups as obviously there are a variety of groups which this topic is relevant and thus I could increase my chances of input...With multiple answers one can see if there is a common thread or pattern and thus choose the more likely things to look at...If the "story is somewhat different every time" is it because I would try different things to check/test/fix and would report back the next day or the same day with the new info/results in hopes the changing info might help narrow down possible causes...If you have nothing positive to contribute then butt out..."Take the car to a mechanic" is the advice of someone who has no clue what the problem may be or how to fix it...Thanks to all the nice helpful people who replied :-)

Reply to
Sara Brown

Actually, multiple postings are a very bad idea because they fragment threads, precisely like he described. If you have something that is relevant to multiple newsgroups, crosspost it between them rather than post multiple times. You may want to read the posting on netiquette in news.announce.newusers which describes why crossposting exists and when it is a good and a bad idea.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey