Shift kits

I have a 99 F150 SC 4x4 4.6 with auto trans. Has anyone had any mods done to their auto trans to make it shift more 'positively'? When I am driving in the hills, the transmission just doesn't seem to spend much time locked in and the shifting is quite mushy. I think that the sharper the tranny shifts the better. Am I wrong on that?

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

I also prefer a firmer shift. I picked up a SuperChips tuner for my F350 well over a year ago and part of it's software increases line pressures within the tranny and tweaks the shift points. Shifts are much firmer and the TC tends to stay locked up a bit better. My only real complaint is the "delay" in getting out of 1st when I really stand on it. It'll hit almost 5k on the tach, then hang there for a few seconds before it decides to go into 2nd.

I haven't tried customizing the shift points to "fix" this as I don't often get on it that hard, but the ability to do so is built in to the tuner.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I know that on the old turbo 350 trannies you could have the shift kit set up as stiff as you wanted. It was a pretty simple and inexpensive modification. I don't know anything about the tranny in the F150. How about you Transurgeon, know what can be done to stiffen up the shifts?

Stephen

The OTHER Kev> >

Reply to
Stephen

yep, a screwdriver and about 30 seconds under the car tweaking the modulator...

These new trannies are too computer oriented to play with now... at least for me.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego