95 Mitsibishi Galant , Dies in idle at stop sign, please advise?

Thanks in advance for any advice before I take it to the mechanic shop.

I recently got a 95 Galant that has a new 30,000 engine in it from a family friend has a gift. It has sat for awhile, but great running car that was in a collision, but redone since my family friend has a auto body shop. When I first got the car it starts fine, but when I would get to a stop light and my RPM would fall before 1000, and car would die while I was breaking. Works fine if I start it and its in park. I figured because it hasn't been ran in awhile, and then drove it back from Long beach to San Francisco, car made it fine runs great and wasn't having the issue.

The battery cables are old and rusted out and does look like it needs to replace. Lately I have been having the same issue where I get to a stop light, and when I break the RPM falls below 1000 and car can die. I put it in park, start the car and get out. Works fine on the freeway, but in city traffic has been doing this off and on. My family friend mentioned the idle may have to be adjusted.

It seems like the car is not getting enough "juice" when I get to a stoplight. Sometimes I notice lights dim and bright back up when I accelerate. I don't think its the alternator, as its a fairly new engine. Is it a matter of adjusting the idle? Or is it battery ? I plan to take this to a mechanic, and my girlfriends dad who is knowledgable in cars, but want to get an idea before I do that.

Thanks in advance for any advice, economy is bad and and I don't know any mechanics I truly trust so don't want to be overcharged!

Reply to
Da 4 Horsemen.

To add to this car would not start this morning, would turn over then quickly die. Somebody suggested a vacuum leak and I was thinking that also.

Reply to
Da 4 Horsemen.

you could try to disconnect various sensors on the car and see if it'll start. Just do one at at time.

Has the engine light ever come on?

Reply to
m6onz5a