'95 Saturn driver's mirror - removal problem

Hi, I took a couple of photos of my saturn mirror that is broken off, and the problem is I don't see to remove/replace the cable to fix or replace the mirror. Anyone know what I need to do? The pics are at

TIA!

Mark

Reply to
Mark G. Meyers

I replaced this for my son on a 1996, but it was a couple years back and I honestly do not remember the details... What I do recall is that it only took about 15 minutes so was pretty simple. I seem to recall possibly three screws or bolts that held the mirror into place. If I also recall correctly, the Allen set screw I can see in your photo was used for an adjustment or to hold the cable end in its housing. This needed to be loosened to allow the mechanism to go through the door to the exterior and be removed.

Bottom line is that this should be pretty obvious. Get the replacement mirror from a junk yard and you will see where the screws/bolts are holding it in place. I do remember there was a plastic cover on the inside that needed to be removed, but it appears you already got that off. There may have been a hidden screw there that held the plastic cover in place.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

It has to be let go from inside the door. Remove the cap covering the bolts.

Reply to
Shawn

You wrote "If I also recall correctly, the Allen set screw I can see in your photo was used for an adjustment or to hold the cable end in its housing. This needed to be loosened to allow the mechanism to go through the door to the exterior and be removed."

Well, I don't see it as an allen set screw in the picture. But I'll for sure have to screw with it. It looks like in the bottom picture a threaded round piece, but not an allen screw. Maybe something on the top of it, which is only seen side-view in the pic. The only thing holding me back at this point is the cable.

Thanks - Mark

Reply to
Mark G. Meyers

If the 'cap' is the plastic panel of the interior there, then I don't see how to remove it without detaching the cable or cable housing first.

Reply to
Mark G. Meyers

"Mark G. Meyers" wrote

You didn't say what model of Saturn, but this looks like your pictures:

MasterBlaster

Garsh. Very cool! It doesn't look like a hex screw, but I suppose it has to be. Like Bob said. That'll pretty much do it!

Mark

"MasterBlaster" > how to remove it without detaching the cable or cable housing first.

Mark G. Meyers

The allen screw is facing you in the bottom photo. Simply loosen the screw and the assy will slip out, allowing you to remove the mirror assy from the door. James

Reply to
James1549