96 3.3 Dodge just stopped. Cam & crank sensors changed w/ASD. Spark hits one time only at each try. Coil pack changed. Help Me!?

Was running fine during routine shopping. When my wife came out of store the engine would not crank. Fuel is no problem it has new fuel pump. I have replaced crank and cam sensors, also plugged in new ASD relay to no avail. Changed coil pack. When I check the firing at plugs it hits ONE HEAVY SPARK and NO MORE at each try. Only hit's again after ignition is turned off and then back on. Please respond with any suggestion.

Reply to
coastincarl

molotov05

You'll get one discharge like that just from the coil powering up and discharging, but it sounds like what they do when the ignition module is dead...

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

I forgot...I don't think the Dodge has an ignition module per se, but it may be the engine controller module under the hood. Check all connections and fuses and breakers...

not familiar with the relay you said, what does it do?

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

Starter or starter relay... Not cranking, means not turning...

Stop wasting money on all these parts and get the starter and starter relay tested... Should get you "crank[ing]" again...

Reply to
FeMaster

I have checked every single fuse and every relay that I can find. The ASD relay from what I understand provides a grounding to both the ignition and fuel solenoids simultaneously once the ignition switch is turned on and drops the ground after 1.8 seconds.

Reply to
coastincarl

That one is still OBD I...can you get codes with the key flip on/off routine like they used to do?

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

Spelling?? I guess you read about as well as you spell. Look in the subject line..

Reply to
FeMaster

I wasn't sure - was there any advise to me concerning my dilemma?

Reply to
coastincarl

goto dealer, ask them for the wiring diagram. try to locate all the sensors realted to the ignitiion system. Check all the connectors. Same books shows wehre the connectors are. Try to test all the sensors to be sure youhave working sensors. If you want you can bypass some relays.

Be sure you check all the fuses. Especailly ECM one.

PS: you c> I wasn't sure - was there any advise to me concerning my dilemma?

Reply to
uccoskun

Thanks for the advice I have checked all fuses and relays twice!

I have done just as you suggest - there is truly no fuel problem. Thanks again

Reply to
coastincarl

Thanks for your input - sounds more knowledgable than most.

Reply to
coastincarl

Lack of spark is not something you need a lot of expertise to diagnose...he's already changed the cam and crank position sensors, so the triggering end of the system is good, that leaves the ignition feed and the computer that makes the big decisions...based on there being a power up and discharge happening when the key is turned on, there is adequate power supply to the coil...they is simply no signal coming to tell it when to discharge...

I'm liking the PCM for this also...like I said in the first place, it's very typical of an ignition module failure (on cars that use them)...but in your case I think it's incorporated into the the PCM.

No other sensors are going to be invoilved, regardless of the ramblings of some who have responded...module, trigger, coil and power...that's still all you need for spark...very basic, no different than cars have ever been, just computer module switched instead of mechanical (points)....

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

Do they even DO smog checks in NC? I mean, real ones?

Reply to
DeserTBoB

The spark is not going to be there as long as you crank the engine. The ASD relay shuts down fuel and spark after 3 seconds of cranking. You say there is good pressure, what was the pressure reading?

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

If there was any doubt that fuel was an issue, a quick shot of starting fluid would answer that one...glad to hear more about that ASD relay though...this must be Dodge stuff, I'm GM oriented...Chrysler's stuff never did make much sense to me...seems they can over-trashify an electrical system with more worthless crap than anyone else, just to acheive the same result...

Don't flame me...I'm joking...kinda...

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

Actually I've tried starting fluid also on three or four dfifferent occasions. Have to get back to you on the pressure reading. I didn't put a gauge on it (but I will in the morning) I just released the valve while it was cranking.

Reply to
coastincarl

"DeserTBoB" wrote

Yes, they have been doing them in the largest cities for a few years, and have been adding more counties, especially the ones that are growing, or have industries that help to contribute to smog.

I don't know about the rules for the largest cities, but in my county, it applies to '96 and newer models.

They also add oxygenators to the gas in the largest cities, in selected months.

Reply to
Morgans

"DeserTBoB" wrote

The check engine light never indicated any shot items, but, oh well!

Reply to
Morgans

Reply to
NewMan