96 Nissan Sentra Oil Pressure Sending Unit PITA

Anyone familiar with changing the oil pressure sending unit on a Sentra ?

I'm trying to replace the oil pressure sending unit on a 96 Sentra 1.6 Liter engine. It looks like I'm going to have to unbolt a bracket which goes up to the intake manifold(?) to get it out of the way so I can put the socket on. If I remove this bracket, will the engine slump down? Do I need to support the engine before removing the bracket?

Is there a simpler, easier way to get the old sending unit out and the new one in?

No room for the wrenches I have. Even if I get the special sending unit socket for $12, that bracket is going to be in the way anyway.

I watched a mechanic change the sending unit on this car once, and it took him about 1 minute ! He's not available to ask now, though.

Advice appreciated!

Thanks

Reply to
Caprice85

Doh, it took me a little bit of time to find my own oil pressure sending unit. My first *guess* turned out to be the coolant temp sensor ;-) ;-\

My second test went right to the pressure sending unit. There isn't anything there to SERVICE. It is just a *replace the thingy* sensor, and reconnect the wires. ;-|

I have the *workshop manual* on CD. Not the Chiltons (yes i have that also) but the Motorcraft Service Manual.

It is a lesson: I learn from other people.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

It's probably just an intake manifold brace; if so, remove it with no worries. Even if it was a powertrain mount, you just need to put a jack with a small section of 2X4 under the oil pan to support the engine while you remove it.

That's for your eyes, skills and tool selection to determine.

I think it's a 1 1/16" hex. If you bought a cheap set of deep sockets from a Harbor Freight type place you could use them for repairs in the future for near the price of one sender socket.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Thanks for the replies. While looking around at different stores for the right tool, I came across a stubby wrench, about 6 inches long which will fit back there. Also found a crow's foot socket . Both will avoid the need to unbolt the bracket. I'm leaning toward getting the crow's foot socket, but so far have not found one big enough, the biggest I've found so far being the standard 7/8 inch. The new oil pressure sensor I bought is indeed 7/8 inch, but the old one is larger than 7/8, probably 1 inch or so (as MDT mentioned). The search continues !

BTW, nobody knew what crow's foot was, at Home Depot ! And only the old guy knew what a crow's foot was at Sears.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Caprice85

Yah, ain't it amazing. If the sales clerk knew anything, well they wouldn't be a sales clerk. I ran into this problem at Sears many times. I'm in the auto tools section and ask a guy who wears the Sears uniform, *what about this* and I get the answer: "Oh I have no idea what these things are for."

If you go to an auto parts store, they know better. Although their tools may not be better, they get the job done! I have some cheap s*hit made in China. Works a treat. No complaints, and the price was right.

Use an adjustable crescent wrench for your *problem.* Just make sure the jaws remain tight against the item to be removed. It is only a oil pressure sensor, so it should only be installed at a torque of 14 lb-ft.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

some auto part stores will loan you a tool when you buy the parts from them, they will usually ask for a deposit (returnable) when you bring the tool back. auto zone for one.

looks to me like most all like replacement parts - should be the same size.

m h o =A0v =83e

Reply to
fiveiron

Both stores are likely staffed by people who have no interest in tools, sadly. I worked at a Hechinger's for a couple months before they went out of business (I'd basically quit my job and moved to Virginia without having a new job lined up, so I had to do something while looking for a real job...) and I soon discovered that I knew more about the stuff they sold than some of the managers. One day I was working the commercial sales register and things were slow, and it was right across from the hardware aisle. I wandered over, while keeping an eye on the register, and started organizing the hardware - you know, after enough people grab a handful of 3/8" coarse nuts, realize they don't want them after all, and then drop them in the 1/4" bin etc. the whole display becomes an unholy disaster. You would have thought I'd volunteered to clean out the Stygian stables from the incredulous tone of voice the MOD used when he asked me what I was doing. (it wasn't anything that I hadn't had to do on a smaller scale as a customer, to make sure I got what the hell I wanted.)

Of course, that probably doesn't help you with your issue... you can't use a deep socket? is it possible that the old one requires a 12 point socket? I have seen some like that... can you get an inspection mirror down to wherever it is to get a good look at it?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel