Oil pressure sending unit

Just purchased a 98 C5 and found the oil pressure sending unit is bad. Bought the new part. Can anyone tell me the location of the sender on the engine? Thanks for any help!

Reply to
bojiboss

bojiboss:

Just had my oil pressure sensor replaced under warranty a month ago (2001 Z06). They said they had to remove the intake plenum.

Reply to
BottleBob

Same for my C5 - had the sensor replaced last week $532. It failed 24 hours later, so the autoshop got to replace it all over again ($0 cost to me).

Reply to
Rufio

$532!?!?! This is a $40 part at Napa. It screws in just like a spark plug does. You will be removing the intake plenum but it's just a plastic piece for the air to go through on it's way to the motor. There are no gears or oil there or anything like that. You will disengage the intake components on the front of the plenum and then start to unscrew the 8 or 10 bolts holding it on. There is a braided fuel line goping into it which you will not need to disconnect. Once loose just lift the manifold up and put it to the side. The oil pressure sender is on top of the motor towards the back. If I rememeber right you will need a deep well socket to get at it. There is enough room there for a regular wrench-- you won't need any special tools. Also, behind the plenum is a plastic air/vacuum line which you will need to disengage in order to move the manifold out of the way. If you go real slow, it can't take more than 45 minutes to get to this. (15 if you gop fast and have done it before) You will have it re-assmebled in 20 minutes. I use a 14 volt cordless drill to remove the long screws. Save yourself some back pain from leaning over the motor for too long.

I would do the job for $200 and feel like I got over on somebody. Five hundred is way too much.

-Stan

2000 C5 Coupe 1999 Blown C5 Vert

"Rufio" wrote in message news:op.s7dzfyjt6x1zv6@daves-m520...

Reply to
sbright

Looking through one of the C5 groups on the net states that the sending unit is at the rear of the block where the distributor would be if it had one, and you have to remove the manifold to replace the sending unit. Good luck with the replacement.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

Good news is that you don't have to remove the engine to replace it. Any wonder GM is in deep trouble..???

Reply to
grayfox

This is why I didn't have it done for 2 years. I knew I was going to bleed. $124 Inlet manifold gasket set $97 for the OEM sensor $30 shop supplies

3 hours labor.

But I DID get a $36.57 discount. They are AAA-approved & gave me an estimate, so they had to stay within 10% - hence the "discount".

What I was paying for a AAA-approved shop, comeback, etc. (i.e. when they fked up the job, I took it back & got them to do it all over again the next day, for $0).

I can design software integration solutions that are cool - but I am a real liability with a wrength in my hand.

The shop is about 2 miles from my office & I get a shuttle van each way.

So on the one hand, I got taken on the C5 repair. But on the other, MY labor rate is higher :-)

Reply to
Rufio