97 Olds Achieva

My radio went out and my headlights started to dim; the battery light and the ABS light came on so I replaced the battery. Now the battery light and the Anti-lock Brake System light is still on. I replaced the alternator back in 2000. It is running but I'm afraid I'll get stuck somewhere. What could be wrong?

Reply to
Kathy2

There's a >95% chance that your alternator has failed again (battery light on, junk reman delco CS unit are two clues), and the ABS light is on simply due to low system voltage detected by the ABS computer. If you fix the charging problem, the ABS light will go out on its own in short order.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Check for blown fuse/fusible link to alternator. Check alternator output to make sure alternator is good.

Reply to
Mike

Well, clearly you have a charging system problem. What did you replace the alternator with seven years ago? If it was a cheap rebuild from a chain store, you're more than overdue for an alternator failure. But for all anyone knows, it could just be a loose ground.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

My experience with the CS alternators are that they are not very good straight from the factory, and rebuilts go downward from there. In short, the best you can get can be pretty crappy. If it lasted 7 years, she is really lucky.

Have you ever tried the Iceberg versions and, if so, are they worth the effort?

Reply to
<HLS

No, I just use a reman from a reputable jobber, then pucker my sphinctor in anticipation for an in-warranty failure. At least most CS alternators are easy to get to. I will look into the "Iceberg" brand now that you mention it...

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish