97 Ranger wiper problem

they only work at the fastest setting, and once in a while they have a go on the next setting, but don't work on any other setting. this makes thing inconvenient as I live in Seattle. is it a relay, or the switch? or another part? thx Tom

Reply to
I Love Edsels

Both of my F150's needed new turnsignal wiper assy arms repaced befor warranty ran out you should be able to replace unit pretty easy.

Reply to
mn92civicVX

thanks, I'll look into that. maybe I can overcome my nervous delicate nature and actually do the work myself.

Reply to
I Love Edsels

I'm a natural-born expert when it comes to taking things apart. That said, I am somewhat of a dumbfvck when it comes time to putting it all back together again.

My advice is to take photos as you do the disassembly as this will give you clues when it comes time to reassemble the things. IOW, you take a sequence of photos 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 during disassembly, and play them back on your camera LCD as 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1.

HTH

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

thanks. first I'll have to borrow a digital camera! I'm still on film.

Reply to
I Love Edsels

Ah so. Maybe you can do it anyhow. My problem is like ending up with bolts of different lengths, wondering what holes I removed them from. I get something back together, and I have one bolt that is too long for the last threaded hole. And that is guaranteed to happen, unless I want to get artistic, and draw a picture on a piece of white cardboard, and push the bolt/screw through at the proper spot. Then I not only secure the screw from loss, but know where it is supposed to go.

This is my memory troubles. I have lots of them at my age. Where did this *extra* part come from?...after everything is supposedly put back together.

In my personal experience, photos really help. IF you are lucky enough to have a digicam. But a pen and a piece of thin white cardboard help also. IOW, you can do it.

I know what it feels like though, trust me. I know what it feels like to have something in lots of pieces and wonder which side of a washer that *shim* was supposed to go on when it is time to reassemble the

*thing.* Try making a drawing on a piece of paper. Anything is a help, and Good Luck. You can do it but good Luck anyhow. I've been so afraid to do something so many times, and rightfully so. But somehow I've managed. Don't let the fear stop you. At that point, the machine has won. Never let a piece of metal win.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Are you going to take the switch apart and repair it? If you consider your time as valuable, just replace it. The switch can be had for $60 or so and it's easy to replace. Bob

Reply to
Bob