98 Integra: Change in engine sound

Hi

My 98 Acura Integra w/ 120k miles on it has pretty much been trouble- free. But recently I noticed the engine noise changes to a throaty growl when I step hard on the accelerator like when you would do on a highway ramp or merging into a faster lane. Its hard to describe the noise but if the normal engine noise is "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" then the changed one is more like "RHRHRHRHRHRH"

:-)

I should mention that my last oil-change was a bit delayed, after about 7500 miles instead of the usual 3500miles, not sure if that caused it.

I fear to take it to the dealer's service center in case they tell me to just replace the engine. Short of that, any clues what might be wrong, or where I should start looking?

Thanks in advance

Cherukan

Reply to
Cherukan

When I modified the intake of my Honda, it made a growling sound under hard acceleration. Not much to go on, but it might be worthwhile to check the intake and air filter housing for leaks, especially if the air filter was changed with your last oil change.

HTH

Reply to
genius

Start looking underneath. Is any part of the exhaust system starting to fall off?

-jim

Reply to
jim

Exhaust leak or if you had the intake apart to change the filter it may not be on correctly. Both can make a big change in engine sound levels. Also look around the engine and trans areas for any part that could be touching a body panel or the firewall. Doesn't take much to allow sound to travel.

Reply to
Steve W.