98 Maxima/Start-up Blue Smoke

Hi, my 98' Maxima has about 126,000 miles; it runs great; burns about one quart of oil every 2,200 miles; and all other fluid levels are perfect and so far require no topping off.

Problem: If I've driven it hard the night before, it tends to smoke from the tailpipe upon starting (blue smoke). The cloud could be big, but after a second or less, nothing comes out from the tailpipe.

Assuming I'm looking at a valve guide seal job, anyone know what would be a fair price? Is it worth the hassle? I'm looking to keep it for a few more years.

Thanks.

Reply to
Cool Breeze

For that kinda slight usage, and an instantly clearing huff of oil smoke on cold start, I could not justify a valve job...it'll run for years like that....you're talking probably a grand or right around for a quality job...might get it done for less...might end up with a motor that uses more oil than it did to begin with also, if not done right, then what?

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

View this thread:

It will drive for years. Or at least my friend has been driving his Mitsubishi montero v 6 that long with morning smoke. Jeffcoslacker pointed out really good points

Reply to
NN