98 Pontiac Grand Prix

I just got a new engine put in and the engine light keeps coming on. The last time it kept coming on it the shop kept resetting the lite but within

5 weeks the engine blew a hole or rod out it. I just want to avoid the same thing happening to this engine. The cooling system has already been replaced such as: radiator, water pump, hoses, oxygen sensors (both of them. Any suggestions?
Reply to
Tripn

Shep

from reading this newsgroup it seems that you may need to hook your car up to a diagnostic scanner to get the error codes.

The mechanic that did your new engine should be able to do it. The codes will tell what the symptoms are.

Reply to
marks542004

"I just got a new engine put in and the engine light keeps coming on."

Reply to
Jon C

If you are driving around with the red overheat light on you probably will be needing a new engine. A new radiator and pump won't help much with no coolant onboard.

Reply to
Al Bundy

"check engine lite"

Reply to
Tripn

I just left there and the code is and has always been DTC P0420. THANKS, LORI

Reply to
Tripn

I am not driving with the lite on.... thats just it.. I picked it up from the shop after just getting a new engine and 2 minutes later the "check engine lite" came back on. Thanks, Lori

Reply to
Tripn

Reply to
Shep

Reply to
Shep

the code is DTC P0420

Reply to
Tripn

They told you what the code is, but didn't tell you what it means or how they're going to fix it? That really sounds like a reputable shop...

Reply to
culfan