00 grand prix brakes

I own a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with 64k miles. I recently changed the front rotors and the pads. Immediately after changing these items, the car began to experience a pulsating feeling in the brake pedal along with an associating noise. I had the new rotors turned and found out that they were warped. The pads are good. This relieved some of the problem. Now, the problem is back and I can't seem to figure out what is wrong. Not sure if it is the ABS. I have not had any other work done on the brake system. Any suggestions or advice would be helpful. Dave

Reply to
Rodger Mathison

Are the front replacement rotors & pads genuine GM parts for the Grand Prix? I've heard some negative feedback regarding poor quality of some foreign aftermarket replacement brake parts, specifically rotors.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

Or, if you feel it might be ABS prob. & I'm not completely sure about this, if you pull the fuse for EBCM (ABS) to see if this isolates the pulsation. It might throw a code though. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable veterans can jump in here.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

I have heard many stories of tire lug nuts being overtightened (by air sockets) and causing the rotors to warp. You should never have to turn brand new rotors and if they were warped, they should be replaced instead (demand this!). Turning the rotors makes them more succeptilble to warping again. The rotors on my 99GTP started to warp a little after only 10,000kms.

Reply to
Rob G

Perhaps the quality of the new rotors was questionable. Also after many years in the business I learned to tighten the wheels with a torque wrench Also before I installed the new rotors,I cleaned the hub surface with a gasket remover wheel to insure there isnt any rust or dirt on it so the rotor wont fit truly. Another thing i have noticed is that these overdrive cars dont hold back on hills which causes the brakes to be applied a lot to get the rotors hot. On a winding hilly road I use the regular drive instead of the overdrive.

Reply to
Philip Wagner

Reply to
null

i know exactly whats wrong, you have to put goopy shit, the consistancy of toothe paste behind the brake caliper pads otherwise when you hit the brakes they will bounce up and down or back and forth, whatever. i think its called brake pad packing compound

Reply to
GREASY DICK

Come on Dick! What a diagnosis!

Reply to
Philip Wagner

Update: On behalf of Dave, author of the Q below: Thanks for the input. Turned out it was the bearrings. Kinda hard to pinpoint symptoms/one problem from the other. Anyways, changing the bearrings did the trick. Seemingly, it's not unusual 60+K miles is about how long some bearrings last. Not an impressive lifespan, or? Thanks again Rodger

Rodger Mathison wrote in news:Xns949BCC5B750F7rodgermahotmailcom@216.168.3.44:

Reply to
Rodger Mathison

I have a Grand Prix 2000 GTP, and let me tell yeah its the bearning and the tire rod those goes on these puppies. I already replaced the bearings twice and tire rodes twice also. It just keeps on coming back. When fixed its fine for like 10-20k miles, but it will come back.

BTW, if you ever have a problem with your Grand Prix shifting its gears at a low rpm or making a clagging noise when shifting gears, check your ignition coils quick before it creates serious damage on yoru trans.

Just an FYI..

L8rs

Six

Reply to