87 4runner noise

22re A/T 87 4runner. Sometimes when I hit a bump, I get a clicking noise that sounds like it's coming from the computer in the right kick panel. Any ideas what the cause could be? Some days it makes the noise and some it doesn't.

Also, anybody ever mount a XM radio antenna on an '87 4runner? The thing has snowboard racks over the whole roof and a sunroof. I'm thinking a thru-glass antenna on the windshield in front of the mirror, but I'm worried about it sticking with the wind and all.

Reply to
chuck

Circuit opening relay is in that kick panel. It operates the fuel pump among other things and is energized by a contact in the air flow meter. It may have a bad connection in that wiring or to ground and hitting a bump causes it to momentarily drop out. You might try tapping around the area with a rubber mallet and see if you can duplicate the situation:

I put the mag-mount antenna for my GPS on the roof, just behind the sunroof. The cable it run around the sunroof channel and over the gasket to the indside. No leaks, works well and has stayed put for over 2 years now, including

4-wheeling trips in overhanging brush.
Reply to
Roger Brown

other things and is energized by a contact in the air flow meter. It may have a bad connection in that wiring or to ground and hitting a bump causes it to momentarily drop

you can duplicate the situation:

I added another ground strap to the body and the problem is gone....for now anyways.

The cable it run around the sunroof channel and over the gasket to the indside. No leaks, works well and has stayed put for over 2 years now, including

4-wheeling trips in

Well, after losing my glass mounted one, I bought a magnetic. Hopefully, the snowboard racks don't interfere with the reception much. If this doesn't work, it looks like my only option is figuring out how to mount a semi antenna. I looked online and it seems Terk brand is all that's available.

Now that it's winter, I've noticed my '87 makes alot more wind noise than my '93. I know that some is to be expected with the removable top and all, but once I get up to 70 on a windy day it's loud. It seems to be coming from the side windows in the doors. Any ideas how to quiet it down a bit? The seals don't look bad. Guess I could slow down a bit, this 4runner doesn't seem to handle as well as the '93 at highway speeds anyways. Still, I wouldn't trade it for a newer one, unless it's a 1st generation.

Reply to
chuck