AC FUSE BLOWS UP!

The AC fuse of my 1995 Mazda Protégé continues to blow up! Sometimes the fuse blows up in few minutes after starting the car and sometimes it takes hours. The Mazda Dealer who did the last servicing claimed that the voltage in the AC electrical system is consistent with the recommended standard. Also the Freon levels are OK and balanced. The dealer is at a loss as to why this may be happening and is now suggesting that the "compressor" be changed to perhaps rectify the problem. That costs $900!

I need help on the following issue:

- Does anyone have any educated guesses as to why the AC fuse may be blowing up?

- Is there any way to do some logical systems checks to come up with the right solution?

- Does anyone think that changing the compressor will fix the problem?

Thanks

Vandy

Reply to
Vandy

If it's electrical, the compressor cannot be the problem. The fuse must control the electric clutch on the front of the compressor. Chances are the clutch is drawing too much current. Have them measure current draw on the clutch. Easy to do. There's no way that any of the parts moving freon would cause the fuse to blow.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney

Since the problem is intermittent, it *may* be safe to by-pass the fuse by using a circuit-breaker (inexpensive at AutoZone, Advance, etc.) with the same protection-level. At least, it will automatically reset when the "short" cools down. Remember, nothing beats repairing the culprit. Naturally, I assume NO RESPONSIBILITY for any consequences. But, over the years, I've had successful "remedies" for circuits with difficult intermittent shorts. Be CERTAIN to NOT EXCEED the original protection-level (i.e., amperage). HTH & good luck. sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi

There's an intermittent short-circuit somewhere, either in the A/C compressor CLUTCH (not the compressor) or in the fan circuit. If the fuse never blows with the heater on, then its probably the A/C clutch.

No. There are ZERO electrical parts inside a compressor. The compressor CLUTCH is electrically operated and is the most likley problem. Some garages (I verge on calling them 'lazy') would rather install a complete compressor than take the time to install a clutch, and on a few cars it may be justified as the clutch can be a pain. But 99% of the time, its better for the car owner in the long run to change only the clutch, because changing the whole compressor requires opening up the A/C refrigerant system increasing the odds of contamination.

.
Reply to
Steve