95 Explorer AC question

My wifes explorers AC only operates on MAX AC. It blows hot air when on normal AC. I've attempted to make sure that the freon is full and it is. When in the reg. AC setting, the compressor doesn't even run.

Any ideas?

TIA Jack Atlanta, GA

Reply to
JACK

I have a '97 Contour. I have had problems with my switches that control the fan. Perhaps you have a problem with the switch. Or the wiring.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It sounds like you have the infamous blend door problem. To check for this, clamp off one of the heater hoses and go for a drive. If the AC functions normally, the blend door is not working. The good news: The blend door actuator is about $30 if it has failed. The bad news: It's usually the blend door itself that is broken. This requires removal of the instrument panel and MVAC box (as does replacing the actuator).

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Tom, the OP wrote that his compressor doesn't run, except in MAX AC.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Oops, missed that detail. Sounds like an issue in the control head then.

Reply to
Tom Adkins