accident, excessive mis-alignment

Hi-

I've been trying to salvage my 1996 2WD Toyota Tacoma after a nasty accident.

Both front fenders, front wheels, front bumper, grille, front lights, etc..., have to be replaced. The engine runs fine, though (except for the air filter box and air intake pipe that are broken). So it seems I can do most of the repairs myself.

My main concern is wheel alignment. The front left wheel seems straight, but the right wheel turns to the left by maybe 20 or 25%. Nothing looks broken or bent.

I suppose I could adjust the tie rod ends to realign the wheel, but such a deviation make me nervous. How did the wheel get so much out of alignment? I can't imagine the tie rod ends skipping threads because of the shock. Again, nothing appears to be bent.

Is it safe, in this situation, to simply readjust the tie rod ends?

Thanks,

Zobby.

Reply to
Zobby

|Hi- | |I've been trying to salvage my 1996 2WD Toyota Tacoma after a nasty |accident. | |Both front fenders, front wheels, front bumper, grille, front lights, |etc..., have to be replaced. The engine runs fine, though (except for the |air filter box and air intake pipe that are broken). So it seems I can do |most of the repairs myself. | |My main concern is wheel alignment. The front left wheel seems straight, but |the right wheel turns to the left by maybe 20 or 25%. Nothing looks broken |or bent. | |I suppose I could adjust the tie rod ends to realign the wheel, but such a |deviation make me nervous. How did the wheel get so much out of alignment? I |can't imagine the tie rod ends skipping threads because of the shock. Again, |nothing appears to be bent. | |Is it safe, in this situation, to simply readjust the tie rod ends?

No, and probably enough threads to do so. Check the arm coming off the spindle, that attaches to the outer tie rod end. Compare to the other side. Also, the lower A-arm could be bent. Might not be readily apparent. I had one like that on a race car for nearly a year before I spotted it by accident. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

If you can find a good frame shop, take it there. They can find any defect, correct the frame, etc.

If it is as simple as replacing a part, they can tell you that too.

Find an honest independent frame shop

Reply to
HLS