Winter stored, alignment out?

I stored my vw over the winter, and when I got it out this spring, the caster is way off, and it shimmies in the front real bad above 40mph. When I put the wheel in the center, there's definitely some toe out. For example, if I put one side looking like its dead straight ahead, the other side looks like it would if you were making a slight turn. Does the alignment go bad after it has sat for a while? What else might have caused this? Thanks.

Reply to
Steve Gift

That would be toe-in that is way off, not caster. Is this on a Super? I can't imagine it happening on a Std.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Steve Gift

You may have to adjust both rods. The steering wheel must *remain* straight ahead when done adjusting.

BUT.......before you get into all that, jack up each front wheel and wiggle the wheel top and bottom. If play, the king pins may be worn. Wiggle (gently) left to right. If play, the tie rod ends may be worn.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Steve Gift

If the pin moves vertically, it means the thrust washer is gone/worn. That won't affect toe-in but I wouldn't like driving it. Storage wouldn't have affected it (I don't think...)

I guess go ahead and adjust the toe, but I'm suspicious about why it (apparently) went bad during storage.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Perhaps the tires have developed flat spots, or the belts have shifted.

Maybe a tie rod, etc. was worn to the point of being "on the way out" and when you drove the car this year it finally "went."

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz