Acetone as a Fuel Additive?

We went through all of this with some of my friends. It turned out to not be worth it, but some people did report smoother idle and some other minor stuff.

KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

I poked around the Pure Energy site for a while and came away with the impression that they are insufficiently skeptical. The presence of woo-hoo articles on Brown's Gas (simply hydrolyzed water, which requires more energy to produce that you can get back out of it) mysteriously suppressed super-efficient "miracle engines" like the Bourke engine and perpetual motion devices like the Bendini motor leave me suspicious of the entire content of the site. Of course, any article in which the author finds it necessary to declare himself a recognized expert in a field also leaves me suspicious.

I'm guessing that if acetone was a useful as they claim it would already be in the blend.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Acetone, and similar solvents, have been a main component of many of the "fuel additives" for years. Most of them recommend occasional, rather than constant, use.

Reply to
Billy Ray

That and it's a carcinogenic compound. To say nothing of how readily it destroys paint.

Reply to
wkearney99

On the other hand, it probably does a bang-up job of cleaning the injectors -- which would explain the mileage gains claimed.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Lee Ayrton proclaimed:

Or if you ever put SuperGlue in your gas tank by mistake, the acetone will help unstick all the parts... Nitromethane works better as fuel additive...

Reply to
Lon

It's also excellent if your wife superglues anything _really important_ to, like, the inside of your leg, when you are sleeping, because she caught you screwing around. A friend of mine had that happen. However, he used Cox model airplane fuel to unstick things. How appropriate!

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Reply to
Will Honea

Will acetone remove Hurculiner from your Hootus?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Out of curiosity, and I'm probably THE most skeptical guy around, I added 7 ounces of acetone to my TJ's tank today when I filled it up. Heck, I was using the acetone to clean up some excess glue so I just went ahead and poured out 7 ounces to see what the fuss is all about. I don't expect anything so if I do notice anything, I'll post here whatever it does.

Jerry

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Enough acetone will probably remove the Herculiner AND your hootus!

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Jerry Bransford did pass the time by typing:

By some accounts that might be too much. However your tank is probably large enough that 7oz will be fine.

I've been reading a lot on this but first hand results from someone I know is worth more than all the results from who knows who.

There are a lot of stories out there. Everything from it improved the milage and got rid of my hemmaroids to it dissolved the fuel pump.

Personally I don't believe it would have any detramental effects, at least none more than fuel system cleaners that also contain acetone.

Reading stuff:

And from the "You got to be f--king kidding me" file.

DougW

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Ok, I know what Herculiner is, but what the heck is a Hootus?

Reply to
SVTKate

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Don't you worry about the plastic parts in the fuel system like the pump and the speed connectors? Acetone will make a lot of plastics go jelly.....

Mike

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

My thoughts exactly. It's only Jerry's Jeep.

This has to be snake oil. The web site says it "reduces the surface tension" of gasoline. That stuff doesn't have much surface tension at all, in my experience.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I'd wager she has one occasionally...