Adhesive for Radiator Hoses ?

Is there a particular adhesive one can use on the inlet and outlet radiator pipes before installing new radiator hoses. Its just that its time to replace the hoses.

Can you use Permatex # 3 ( I believe its #3) ?

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Why? If, say, a snout has a build-up of deposits on [its] outside, you should be wire-brushing the build-up off. If the metal snout on the radiator side is prone to leaking, even when the hose clamp is [appropriately] tightened down, then you should fix the problem, whatever it might be (bent metal, and so on).

Consider the situation should you have to replace one of those hoses, having used an adhesive. You'll spend a [considerable] amount of time/effort to remove that adhesive (even if it is non-hardening) before installing a new hose.

I'd put the hoses on dry. I've done this with every car and motorcycle I've owned. The only time that I experienced a leak coming from around a snout, with a new hose, is that I failed to clean off the build-up of deposits on the outside of the snout (water-pump snout).

Reply to
mst

The hoses require no adhesive. Use new screw clamps and new hoses, tighten appropratley and all will be well.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Why would you need an adhesive for that job?

Professor

Professor

Some older shop manuals recommend same. However hoses back then were a lot stiffer.

nate

Professor wrote:

Reply to
N8N

I don't know what Permatex #3 is, but my Ford came with what seemed like rubber glue inside each hose. I first installed the new hoses without adhesive, but one short heater hose, under the ignition coils, always leaked, no matter how much I tightened the hose clamps or even when I used spring clamps (very hard to install at that location) or hose with a smaller inside diameter. It was only after I applied rubber glue that the leak stopped for good.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Adhesive? Surely you are joking? That has not been required since the mid 1950's.

Reply to
« Paul »

practice

This is the way I believe the hoses should be installed. I slit my hoses with a utility knife and easily peel it off.

Permatex Super 300 or Aviation gasket sealer. This is the name I am looking for.

Thanks Denny B

Reply to
Denny B