Alrighteen then. Please help a shade tree mechanic's DNS to have a chance to get into the Gene pool.

ok, I am broke, but will manage to buy a 300.00 USD fuel pump for my

1997 blazer. However, I may be short of having the cash to pay for labour. I was quoted at 150.00 usd for the repairs.

I bought the hanes manual, and it looks like a job I can tackle. I have done oil changes, and the most mechanical work I have done is replacing a power steering pump and alternator.

What safety precautions should I take when removing the gas tank from the blazer? any known issues U shoould be aware of? the tank is almost empty, and if I manage to get car started again ( by hammering the side of a tank with a 4x4 ) I am thinking of letting it idle until it runs out of gas. Is this a good idea? any inputs in safety is highly appreciated.

Reply to
EL CID

If it has gas it in, then the only problem with that is that your gas tank will be harder to handle when you remove it. If it's almost empty, then your problem is solved. I woudln't worry about getting the last two gallons out of the tank. If you have a helper, it would make this job much easier. I've serviced fuel tanks before and it's doable with one person but it will take two people less than half the time it takes one person.

I'd suggest, if you're a smoker, give it up for a day if you're going to be working on the gas tank.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Why dont you use the pump to pump the gas out. Sloshing gas will change the balance while lowering it. A helper will make the job a lot easier, if not 2 car jacks will help a lot. And a blank to quiet the noise when the tank hits the driveway.

Reply to
me

Sorry, I meant :blanket

Reply to
me

thanks guys fir the input. One quick question, what do you meant by saying use the pump to pump the fuel out???

Reply to
EL CID

If you can get the pump to run again, if you just apply power to it, it will pump fuel into the system.. If you disconnect one of the fuel lines, and route it into a gas can or another car's fuel tank, it'll pump the rest of the gas out of the tank. At least what it can get to. I didn't mention it because you said your fuel pump needed replacing and you needed to bump the fuel tank to try to get it to spin.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang