alternator question

I have one of those delco one wire 12v alternators with internal regulator. I was wondering if the regulator part is replaceable as a separate part. should be cheaper than replacing the whole unit assuming all else is ok.

Reply to
desperado

Yes, the local auto parts store to me sells kits for them that include the regulator, the brushes and the bearing.

Mike

Mike Romain

yes it is replaceable as a separate part, and it is not terribly difficult. PRobably won't be able to find one at your FLAPS but Summit, Jeg's etc. will sell them to you (search for "one wire conversion kit" - the difference is the regulator.) However, were it my car, I'd probably just get the standard Delco regulator and run it as a three wire. If you don't have an idiot light, Speedway sells a plug with a diode in it to keep it happy. As a three wire unit you get remote voltage sensing and instant turn on, with the one wire it only senses voltage at the output terminal and you may have to rev the engine a little bit to get the alternator to turn on. I'm running the regular Delco 10SI with a Speedway plug/harness in my Stude and it works fine.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel