American Cars

I went to the Ford dealer today to look at the new Ford Fusion. Reading the window sticker revealed that the car was built with 30% parts sourced from Canada and the USA. The Transmisson was made in Japan and the car was built in Hermasillo Mexico,

The I stopped by the Hyundais dealer to see the 2006 Sonata. The window sticker revealed that the car was made in Montgomery Alabama.

Which one is an American Car?

Jake

Reply to
Jake

The Fusion might be more American if the Sonata is merely assembled in Alabama with most of the content from overseas. To answer your question, I'd say neither. Get used to it. Very little else is made in America. People did not react when this trend started. Why start now?

Reply to
Al Bundy

I give up. Which is it?

Reply to
mst

Reply to
Joseph Zupko

If the VIN begins with 1, it's considered American-made. 2 is Canada, 3 is Mexico, J is Japan, etc.

Bob M.

Mexico is now part of North America??????

I missed that change altogether. That major change in geography deserved much wider public notice.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

mst

Er...it's been that way for quite some time.

Maybe you were cutting class that day. Or maybe you perceive Mexico as full of brown people, therefore not part of North America.

NORTH AMERICA is comprised of Canada, Greenland, the USA., Mexico and the island countries and dependencies of the Caribbean.

CENTRAL AMERICA is comprised of 7 countries that connect North and South America, including Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador and Belize.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Where was each one designed and engineered? Where does the company's profit get reported and taxed? To me those are the real questions.

Reply to
Steve

Welcome to the global economy.

There are things about it that I really don't like. However, the realities are that global corporations are more important than countries now. National identity is going to go away. It won't be that you are "American", rather you will be an employee of .

Daimler-Chrysler? for goodness sakes. Ford owns or controls Mazda, Jaguar, and several others. Wal-Fart gets almost everything from their own plants in China. Wal-Mart will see a good idea for an invention, steal it, sell it, and hire more lawyers to keep the small company that invented it tied up in court until the small company is out of business. Microsoft does te same thing.

It just doesn't matter anymore if something is "American made". It is also very very sad.

As long as we Americans keep voting the same type of politicians back into office, nothing will change. Voting without researching, and thinking should be criminal. It is not. You have the right to vote stupid. And we usually do.

Oh well. According to the book "The Prince", as long as a politician doesn't make life to bad all at once with the general population, then they can get away with anything.

Reply to
cfoughty

The one headquartered in the US and pays most of its corporate taxes to the US government. Of course these days the US car companies don't have any profits to pay taxes on.

Reply to
James C. Reeves