Ford selling Volvo?

I read this morning that BMW is in talks with Ford to buy Volvo. Both Ford and BMW had no comment.
Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Ford is looking to sell of all it's European makes to generate some cash. It is in bad trouble. It stopped making its cash cow the Taurus and introduced the Five Hundred which was still born beside the fact it was a good car. Now they are rebadging the Five Hundred as the Taurus. Detroit is in the business of selling images, not vehicles.
By the way,according to the labels on the car doors that list "percent of parts made in the US, the most American "cars" are:
1. Ford F-150* Dearborn, Mich.; Kansas City, Mo.; Norfolk, Va. 1 2. Toyota Camry**, Camry Solara Georgetown, Ky. 3 3. Chevrolet Silverado 1500* Fort Wayne, Ind.; Pontiac, Mich. 2 4. Chevrolet Cobalt Lordstown, Ohio 5 5. Ford Explorer, Explorer Sport Trac Louisville, Ky.; St. Louis 6 6. Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx Kansas City, Kan. 7 7. Chevrolet TrailBlazer* Moraine, Ohio 10 8. Toyota Sienna Princeton, Ind. 9 9. Pontiac G6 Orion, Mich. -- 10.Ford Escape** Kansas City, Mo. 8
*Rankings based on estimated sales breakouts and/or production data; TrailBlazer excludes discontinued TrailBlazer EXT. **Excludes hybrid.
However, this does not distinguish between US and Canadian content.
<http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp ;jsessionid=NBZEEKPWMP3RTLAYIEYU2 VA?section=top&story=amMade1206&subject=more&referer=&aff=national>
Here are some makes that are NOT considered "American Made"
# Chevrolet Equinox # Chevrolet HHR # Chevrolet Impala # Chevrolet Tahoe # Chrysler 300 # Chrysler PT Cruiser # Dodge Charger # Ford Focus # Ford Fusion # Ford Mustang
<http://www.autosite.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/arti cle_id_int/1965>
--
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA, USA
Owned '67,'68,'71,'74,'79,'81,'87,'93,'95 & '01 Volvos.

I have got the impression, that selling images is what is the main business of every big company nowadays. Product quality and customer satisfaction are definitely secondary or tertiary issues.
Viktor

And it's come home to roost. Image eventually matches reality. There aren't any teenage boys anywhere bugging their fathers to buy an Impala anymore.

Here is more on this:
Built at the Ingersoll plant in Ontario, Canada, the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox could be the most un-American American car on the road. Consider that, in addition to its assembly north of the border, the Equinox has a China-built V6 engine.
GM says that the 2006 Chevrolet HHR was inspired by the 1949 Suburban. We wonder whether they built that SUV in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico as well.
The much-improved Impala, with more room and comfortable seats plus an attractive style is Canadian.
The Tahoe debuted early this year to brisk sales, and may even find itself as a serious contender for Truck of the Year. Thats the good news, along with the fact that its built in Arlington, Texas and Janesville, Wisconsin. Ah but the things they put inside, only 67 percent come from US-based suppliers.
The Chrysler 300, only the most well-received new sedan Chrysler has put out in years from critics and consumers alike is about as American as a Moose. Built in Brampton, Ontario, the 300 also gets just 72 percent of its parts from US suppliers.
Built in Toluca, Mexico, the PT Cruiser was updated in 2006.
Like its brother, the Chrysler 300, the Dodge Charger is itself a big buff Canadian that borrows its legacy from an American icon.
Built in the US but made of only 60 percent American parts, the Focus could be considered at least near American.
As the flag-waver for Fords newest rallying cry, Red, White and Bold, its interesting that the 2006 Ford Fusion is more a hue of green, white and red, signifying its Mexican birthplace. Or maybe its more red and white, symbolizing its Mazda/Japanese roots.
According to the Act, cars must be made of 75 percent US parts, and the Mustang registers at a paltry 65 percent, Canada included. At least its still assembled in Michigan.
Consider, though, that if you want to buy a more American car than the Mustang the Mustang -- try the Camry, the Accord, the Avalon, the Corolla
--
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA, USA
Owned '67,'68,'71,'74,'79,'81,'87,'93,'95 & '01 Volvos.

I sincerely hope not - look what happened to Rover when BMW bought it!
--
Cheers,
Roger

OTOH, there could be RWD Volvos again. ;) 8-]
--
Sakari Ailus
http://www.iki.fi/~sailus /

Well they didn't produce any RWD Rovers during their ownership!
--
Cheers,
Roger

What happened to it? Could the build quality really have gotten much worse?

Oh I do hope so. Perhaps somebody will make progressive Volvos instead of ridiculous pastiches with most of the old values sapped out.
I wont drive german cars so if this is true thats the end of my love affair with Volvos, except those built previous to any possible takeover . Just as a matter of interest would a volvo bmw have no indicators as it seems bmw indicators dont seem to work ever ?

John Robertson wrote:

What a strange idea.

By Ford?

Dunno - but hopefully they'd have no daytime running lights!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Is a car that is designed in Sweden and built in Sweden and Belgium, with Japanese transmissions, German. I don't think so. I don't think the present Volvo is American either. Ford's only contribution was adding the V-8 engines which I avoid like the plague.
--
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA, USA
Owned '67,'68,'71,'74,'79,'81,'87,'93,'95 & '01 Volvos.
Steve, what is wrong with the Yamaha V8 ? I have never read anything bad about the engine, apart from the fuel consumption, Rob

QED
Very inefficient.
Volvo engines have a long reputation of efficiency and durability.
--
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA, USA
Owned '67,'68,'71,'74,'79,'81,'87,'93,'95 & '01 Volvos.

I just sold my 95 940 wagon that was not even pulling 24mpg, unless on a highway. And it wasn't even a turbo. Where was the efficiency in that? and it was so underpowered that it was literally painful to drive. Between that and a new 90 series that has the same mpg I'll pick the last one even if it has twice the cylinders (all other things being equal, of course). Now, I'm not complaining about its reliability, that was great. No, I'm not bashing Volvo, I am a big fan and I still own an S70 but that 940 was painful to drive, plain and simple AND getting a horrible MPG. That combined with a lack of manual transmission in the late yrs of 940's have lost me as a fan of the series. Now I'm looking for a manual 850 or S70 that are very difficult to find.
Too bad you feel as you do about the V8. We have one (XC90) and it's incredible --- great power, very reliable, and decent gas mileage (24MPG highway, which is better than the 3.2 6cyl XC90 that we drove --- the V8 prob doesn't have to work as hard). My understanding was that the V8 was not made in US but in China or Japan or some such. At any rate, we love it and would buy another. 'Bout time Volvo did a V8.

mdrawson wrote:

Made in Japan by Yamaha. It is a further development of the engine design Yamaha used to build for the Ford Taurus SHO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Yamaha_V8_engine

There is a new Volvo on sale in the UK, called C30. It looks very like what we know as the Ford Fiesta. Anyone know anything about it?
--
Mike Lindsay