Any use for a 19/32" socket or wrench?

My understanding is that the only xx/32" size currently useful for any SAE fasteners is 11/32" (no. 8 hex head machine screw) - got a 19/32" socket in a lot of stuff that I picked up for cheap, mostly to get some socket exten sions that looked useful. Is there any use for it on modern equipment, or is it an anachronism? It's a nice looking Crapsman socket, but I don't see the point of carrying it in my main toolkit.

Are there any other xx/32" sizes (besides 11/32) worth carrying? I do have the 7/32", 9/32", and 11/32" 1/4" drive sockets but those don't take up mu ch space/weight.

nate

Reply to
N8N

What these odd old sizes are good for in this day and age are metric fasteners. In this case it's a 15mm socket. (19/32in = 15.08mm)

It's good for anything a 15mm socket is good for.

Reply to
Brent

I had absolutely no idea but a web search turns up an esoteric beer keg bung, a 1941 Logan lathe cross slide and apparently prewar Ford rod and main bearing caps besides several applications on the Model T.

Reply to
AMuzi

Which war?

Reply to
T0m $herman

E fasteners is 11/32" (no. 8 hex head machine screw) - got a 19/32" socket in a lot of stuff that I picked up for cheap, mostly to get some socket ext ensions that looked useful. Is there any use for it on modern equipment, o r is it an anachronism? It's a nice looking Crapsman socket, but I don't s ee the point of carrying it in my main toolkit.

ve the 7/32", 9/32", and 11/32" 1/4" drive sockets but those don't take up much space/weight.

19/32" fit the oil drain plug and the distributor hold down on my '79 Ponti ac Firebird. Maybe other stuff on that car?
Reply to
john4kc

It's only used that I know is for Dodge gas tank bolts

Reply to
paulcarter570

How about as a sloppy fit 15mm socket or wrench?

19/32" = 0.59375" (nominal) 15mm = 0.59055" (nominal)
Reply to
M.A. Stewart