Asked for Monroe Shocks.. who knows what I got.

From an earlier post with ton of typo's: Hi All: I recently had my shocks replaced on my 98 Grand Marquis. $211.00 for 4 shocks, installed. Seems like a fair price. Anyway, I asked for Monroe Sensitrac Heavy Duties and I don't think this is what I got. The reason why I believe this to be true is because Monroe shocks have a blue casing, these are black. Anyone know what they gave me?

Reply to
Finite Guy

You got your Sensa-Tracs, most likely -- they're black.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The sensitrac shocks are black... Gabriels are also black..

Monroe's come in blue, yellow and black.

-bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

|The sensitrac shocks are black... Gabriels are also black..

Some Gabriels are black, some are red, some are white. The HD pickup shock is silver.

If it has conventional shocks all around, and in that price range, he would have got Red Ryders, whic are........ (drum roll)..... red!

Looks like all the passenger car conventional shocks are red except older car applications

Reply to
Rex B

Take a closer look. The shocks should still have the labels on them telling you what brand and model shock you got.

----------------- Alex __O _-\

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

|In article , | snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says... |>

|>From an earlier post with ton of typo's: |>Hi All: I recently had my shocks replaced on my 98 Grand Marquis. |>$211.00 for 4 shocks, installed. Seems like a fair price. Anyway, I |>asked for Monroe Sensitrac Heavy Duties and I don't think this is what |>I got. |>The reason why I believe this to be true is because Monroe shocks have |>a blue casing, these are black. Anyone know what they gave me? | |Take a closer look. The shocks should still have the labels on them |telling you what brand and model shock you got.

If they came from a chain with a national contract with Gabriel or Monroe, they probably won't have labels.

Reply to
Rex B

|The original equiptment was not very good and didn't last. |Maybe the car manufacturers uses cheap shocks and struts so that the |average consummer will feel that the car is getting old because it |rides poorly. Then they wil trade the car? Who knows.

the OE shocks have one purpose: To sell the car by providing a good ride when the car is demo'd. Those shocks are calibrated to give that ideal ride while taking into account the tightness of the new suspension busings and joints. So once those items loosen up to normal friction, the shock is doing the whole damping job, and it's not designed for that. So now you need new shocks at 20K miles. This is more common with domestic cars. Nothing wrong with the OE shocks mechanically. I have taken OE shocks and re-installed them on a lighter variant of the same chassis and used them for years. Good example: 1976 Mustang II was loaded and heavy for it's size. I took them off and let a friend install them on his 1976 Pinto. they worked great on that car.

Reply to
Rex B