Auto upolstry

Is it possible to recover seats yourself? I have a 96 zz1 with stains on the seats and would like to replace them. Can I do this myself and it look good? They are captains chairs I believe.

Reply to
stryped

It is certainly possible. If you have no experience at upholstery, it will present some challenges, but if you can re-cover a LazyBoy or a sofa, you can do this.

Reply to
<HLS

I have never done either. Can I still od this. ANywhere I can go on the web for more info?

Reply to
stryped

I found a site once, but have lost it in a hard drive failure. Run a google search amd see what you can locate.

If you can purchase the covers for the units ready to put on, that should be easy. If you intend to remove the old ones, sew new ones, reinstall, this would require attention to selection of appropriate fabrics, pattern making, sewing, etc.

My mother learned how to do all this sort of thing herself, with no instruction whatsoever. With experience, it became easier for her.

You might be able to take off the old upholstery, take it to a shop which has the industrial type sewing machines and fabric choices, and have them sew up some new covers for you. Then you could reinstall. If the cushioning foam is damaged, you can replace it at the same time by simply cutting new pieces from foam stock.

Reply to
<HLS

I'm assuming they are fabric. If you have time, like several(2 or more)days of hot, outdoor, sunshiny weather to allow for complete drying: one can do wonders with Purple Power, detergent, and pressure washing, like a steam cleaner or even a commercial diy-carwash. But, 1st try spraying a little PurplePower directly on the stains, let it soak in, and then use a whitewall bristle brush dampened with hot water. Then come behind with a towel, wet with hot water & rung(wrung?) out, and wipe them vigorously. This 1st attempt uses the theory to not WET them, but to WIPE them. Keeps underneath foam relatively dry and doesn't allow stains to rise again later. Even knowing how well this has worked in the past, I am still often amazed at how nearly perfect some come out on more recent jobs. This technique has also saved many sets of carpets, which looked hopeless in the beginning. Luck to you, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Reply to
stryped

Only if the brush and wipe technique fails. The high-pressure, regulated to about that supplied by a do-it-yourself car-wash wand, would be the most you should use. I really have used the pressure technique more on carpets than seats. Most seats come out fine w/o use of pressure. Be sure to spray the stains directly with a cleaner like Purple Power first and let them sit for 30-45 minutes. Then the damp brush. Then the damp towel. Repeat process several times if necessary. You should be amazed. And this can be done w/seats in place. If you have to wet them so much as in the pressure technique, yes, take 'em out, clean them using P/Power & detergent. Bear in mind that the detergent/cleaner along with pressure should do the work more so than

*drowning* them in water; and then let 'em dry in the sunshine for several days. This drying is important. As they dry, you'll find you have to re-wipe w/the towel repeatedly, as the stains will probably rise--depending on how deeply into the foam they reached. But on the final wipe as they completely dry, the stain will NOT rise again. Good luck and enjoy the comfort of cloth AND the (somewhat) cleanability of vinyl. s
Reply to
sdlomi2

When I first answered this post, I had assumed the seats were beyond washing. So much for assuming.

I have rented a carpet shampoo machine from the local stores which have a wand for seat cleaning and have had good results. In one case I had a deep seated spill that had soaked into the seat cushion and even that was satisfactorily dealt with.

I have this on my 'do list', as my van is getting to look more like a farmers vehicle than a transportation pleasure.

Pretreatment of stained areas can help a lot. Lately I have been using one of those over the counter orange flavored (for oil based stains) sprays, and it has done a good job.

You gave him good advice, SD.

Reply to
<HLS

How about removing the cloth and running it through a big laundromat washer assuming that they are still in good shape?

this is why I prefer leather or vinyl seats by the way...

nate

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
stryped

Normally, yes. These fabrics are often designed for heavy service. I would take the fabric off and wash them in cold or warm water, with a very mild detergent. No chlorox. I would dry them on a delicate cycle, and take them out while they were still slightly damp.

Slightly damp, they are usually easier to get back onto the seat forms, and normally dry tighter and with fewer wrinkles.

Reply to
<HLS