Automatic Transmission question

1995 Toyota Tercel 224,000 miles, 3 speed automatic.

Twice now (5 months apart) the tranny up shifts quite late. I'm a conserva tive driver and I'm always in third gear by the time I get to the other sid e of the intersection from a standing start. That would be about 10-12 mph . Two times now I have to get up to 33 mph to to attain 3rd gear. 2nd gear i s also very late, about 20 mph. This is most pronounced on a cold morning (48°F).

The solution has been to live with it. After about 1/2 hour (about 30 star ts from red light) the shift into third occurs at 27, then 23, then 19 etc. and eventually at around 12 mph. Ergo, it fixes itself. Then fine for 5-

6 months. I assume we can rule out linkage, since that would not be self-correcting.

Let us assume that the fluid has never been flushed or changed. I've had t he car since 160,000 miles and have not touched the fluid (except to check level). It never needs top-off.

I am able to remove and clean the valve body, if need be. I have a car lift . I also own an identical parts car with low mileage (132,000 miles). Cou ld install that valve body. I can also flush and change fluid, but many web sites recommend against tha t move if it has never been done before.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

(BTW, I get an honest 34 mpg city, 43 mpg highway. For me highway is appro ximately 60 mph. Tuck up 2-300 feet behind a big semi and have a relaxing trip).

Ivan Vegvary, Oregon

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

That's how you keep warm when you're soaking wet on a motorcycle. You do have to pull out every once in a while or the fumes will kill you :-(

Reply to
The Real Bev

Sounds like it has some crud floating around blocking one of the valves. I would put it in the air, drain, change the filter, flush the VB and check for wear (but it sounds more like crud), refill with new juice and drive it.

Reply to
Steve W.

I would strongly suggest changing the fluid. I would not do a full fluid flush with back-pressure dislodging all the junk in the transmission and moving it around. On an old, poorly maintained transmission the flush can be problematic.

But it will only take a few minutes to drain the pan, look at the condition of the fluid, change the filter and put a couple quarts in to make up. That is apt to do some good and won't risk harm. It's easier on a lift but you can do it on ramps in the driveway readily.

Cleaning the valve body is certainly not a bad idea, but I'd first do a fluid change and drive it around a little and see how it goes. I would agree that the flush is a bad move. Clearly there's something in the valve body making something stick, but it's possible a quick fluid change will fix that.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Steve & Scott Thanks for the advice. Will drop pan and change filter.

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary