Bad Starter Problems. Please help

I have an 86 Mazda truck with a 4 cyl. and a 5 speed. Its been fine until I started to have starter problems. When I bought the truck, my friend that i bought the truck from had some spare parts. a starter was one of them. I expected the starter to go soon because it wasnt turning over very well. a few weeks later, as predicted, it didnt start. the starter was shot. Even though I had a spare starter, I also had the money, so i bought a rebuilt and refurbished one for $54. that was in the middle of february. Just recently, the appendix on the new starter went. I would try to start it and it would free-spin. I would push start it but i could hear the starter gear spinning on the flywheel. Not good to drive like that. So I pulled the used spare starter out, but it was filled with water from the rain. I went a few days withought my mazda while the starter was in pieces drying. When i got the time and desperation to put it in, i did it. I worked fine for about 3 days. I couldnt tell the difference between that and the new one, but just today, It didnt start in the morning. Not even a click. Jumping the selenoid didnt even do anything. Push starting it got me to and from school just fine. It ran fine withought problems, it just wouldnt start. I'm getting the rebuilt one replaced under warrenty tomorrow, but I was just wondering if it could be more than the starter thats bad. Hopefully the new and used one were just deffective. I really need help on this. I dont want to toast another starter because of something else wrong with my truck. Please help.

Reply to
bondo via CarKB.com

I think you mean the Bendix gear went out. You got six months out of it, which is about what you get when you buy cheap chain store rebuilds these days.

First of all, there is no reason you can't drive around without a starter at all if you don't mind pushstarting it.

Well, it's been out in the rain for months. I'm not surprised that it's failed after that.

I'm getting the rebuilt

No, what you need to do is go to a local rebuilder and get a properly rebuilt starter. NOT some chain store crap. NOT something that has been lying out in the rain for months. Something that has been carefully rebuilt by competent human beings who check every part and replace bad ones. Ask local mechanics who they recommend for a local starter and alternator rebuild shop.

If you get it replaced under warranty with another crappy chain store rebuild, you will get another six months out of it before it fails again. Do not waste your time installing junk.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

first of all, it wasnt a chain store cheapie, it was professionally rebuilt. The way the rebuild it isnt just replacing worn parts, they replace all internal parts and selenoid. It had a 2 year warranty on it, but it lasted 2 months, not 6. I took it back and they replaced it no charge. the one that was in the rain was just for emergencys, i wasnt planning on keeping it. i got a rebuilt one for no charge due to warranty. Thanks for the help anyway.

Reply to
bondo via CarKB.com