battery neutral post size

recently replaced a car battery in one of the extended familys car and noticed the neutral cable loop is still a little loose after tightening the nut around the loop that goes on the neutral post.

thought about putting in another neutral cable but the car has multiple electric connections all routed to that one common neutral bundle so am asking if there is a way to make the battery post size bigger or some adapter to make the post

*fatter* ?
Reply to
MÃ¥rty

Sometimes you can get away with adding a washer to the head and nut of the bolt to get a bit larger surface to 'pull' some more lead at the post, but basically the clamp is worn out and if it gets stretched much more it will just snap usually.

I have seen folks use a piece of copper pipe split to sleeve the post, but corrosion was a large issue with that if I remember right. Electrolysis more than water corrosion.

I guess if you could find some lead sheeting or pipe, but the clamp is worn out and ready to crack anyway, so...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Reply to
Mike Romain

If you're in Canada, Princess Auto has battery post shims for this purpose.

Reply to
Pason